Yeast Temperature Range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I just started a batch of strong ale using Danstar Nottingham dry yeast which has a fermentation range for 57F - 70F. For the first few hours or so the fermentation temp was hovering around 70F, so I used the swamp cooler method to get it down to 62F. My question is, when there is such a large gap for the yeast's temperature range, what effects will it have if I ferment at 62F instead of 68F? Will the latter just produce more of a fruity flavor?

That is pretty much it. At higher temps you are going to have less flocculation, more fruity esters and possibly more fusel alcohols. At lower temps you will have better flocculation, lower esters, less fusels resulting in a more "crisp" flavor.

I have never actually used Nottingham, but that is pretty standard practice with most yeasts.

Nottinghams works great in low temps. Actually I've found that its got a pretty clean flavor even if you are fermenting at higher temps (like 75-80). If you are doing a strong ale, you'll want to start it off real cool, watch and wait for it to slow down, then warm it up 70.

I used Nottingham in my IPA and I made a starter while I was boiling my wort per the instructions on the back of the yeast package.

I first hydrated it, then fed it about 1/2 a shot glass of wort (cooled to 100°F) about every 5 to 7 minutes. I did this all in an open glass sitting on the counter.

Well, I pitched the starter into the wort and within a few hours the primary was CHUGGING along at 72 to 75. I started to get concerned and moved it so it was more in the range of 67 -68 and it STILL was chugging.

Now, on day 2 (about 40 hours in primary) it's noticeably less at 68° but still chugging.

I was expecting it to continue fermentation a lot longer but I'm sure it's still going, just a lot less activity now. I'm going to give it at least a week or two in primary.

My nottingham yeast is very active during the first 2 days, after which it seems to slow down a lot. I read Nottingham yeast's brochure and they claim that it can finish fermenting in just 4 days.

I've got my fermentation temp now fluctuating between 63-66F depending on when I add ice to my swamp cooler. This thing started bubbling like crazy after only 12 hours, but now it's day 3 and it has slowed down a little, but it's still doing 5-6 bubbles every 5 seconds or so.

Back