Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getatme11

Reaction score
Just opened our bucket to bottle today and a beer my roommate did on his own looked like this. Is this yeast or an infection? He lost a half gallon of beer into the swamp cooler during fermentation due to seal that wasn't tight. Should we be worried?? Thanks!

ForumRunner_20120426_171746.jpg

That looks a lot like a pellicle to me... This is why I don't ferment in buckets with spigots. Did you taste it? Does it smell or taste sour?

It doesn't taste sour to me. Granted, I'm reluctant to take a giant swig. We put it into a secondary and it sat there for 3 weeks or so...

ForumRunner_20120426_172759.jpg

ForumRunner_20120426_172826.jpg

We decided to bottle it, we can always use the practice. If it IS an infection is it safe to drink? It didn't taste sour and I have yet to die after 10 minutes.

I might be Wong but I believe if it is infected it can finish out below 1.0. Might want to keep an eye on the bottles for bottle bombs and keep them in a plastic tote

Make sure those bottles are in a "bomb shelter". If it is infected, the infection will ferment further than your yeast will.

Edit: JeepDiver beat me to it

Ive racked under that before,except i didnt have the big bubbles really,just the flakey filmy stuff,you may see a filmy layer on top of some of the bottles,just keep your eye on them and when they are carbed and taste good stick them in the fridge. Ive had some taste off and then conditon longer and it seemed it went away or only survied on the surface and without oxygen it may not have survied. I wouldnt condtion them much over low 70's to carb just in case.I kept mine moderate to prime then sat them around 50-60ish deg. for months and no bottle bombs,and they still turned out to be good beers.Ive noticed the film even disappear in some bottles and no overcarbonation or offness.
I would check one every week for taste/carbonation.What yeast did you/he use?
I drank mine last bottled first, that way if some of the stuff on the surface got in it it would be the last few bottled.I had no issues and still have a few from each of the few batches this happend with well over 5 months even.

I bottled an ESB about 3 weeks ago and just noticed that thin layer of film in the bottles. I toasted some oak chips and had it sit on some rye for a few weeks. I've not yet had a problem with sanitation so I'm wondering if the oak chips contributed anything to this?? Any one ever run into anything similar. It is starting to carb up but after 3 weeks in bottles should I still worry about bombs? Oh ya there was no sign of infection during fernetation.

Latest posts

Back