Adding coffe beans during second fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzhilton

Reaction score
I recently brewed a dark dark porter and im about to transfer it into my carboy for second fermentation. I have some Makers Mark whole bean coffee id like to add for a coffee slight bourbon twang. I was wondering what exact point to add the beans or how to add it?

Crush your beans and cold brew some coffee. When you're ready to bottle, simply add it to the bucket just like you do with your priming solution.

I just cracked my first few bottles of coffee porter.

I put 1.5 quarts of boiled and cooled water into a sanitized jug and added about two cups of run of the mill Folgers dark coffee. Let that cold "steep" for about 4 hours and then filtered the coffee grains out and added to my secondary.

Racked the Porter on top of that and let sit for about 10 days. Then to bottling. Bottle conditioned for about 3 weeks at 68-70F and it still wasn't ready it had carbonation but was still green. Another week conditioning and it's pretty farging good. It has a very roasted flavor that hits you immediately then continues with a nice light hop flavor and finishes tasting like the folgers coffee.

If you aren't looking for a really roasted flavor, I would cut back on the coffee and/or try a premium brand.

I brewed 16oz. of espresso and added it to the priming bucket. The coffee flavor turned out very good.

NRS

Don't brew the coffee. I helped a buddy brew a beer like that a few months ago. It was alright, but there was a distinct flavor difference in-between brewed coffee and beer. You don't want that, you want a smooth flavor. Just add coffee beans to secondary for 3-4 days!

kapbrew13 said:
People have cold brewed the coffee and then add to secondary or during bottling.

What are the advantages of cold brewing the coffee? I've also heard of steeping the crushed grains before bottling?

I have heard that cold brewing the coffee helps keep tannins and nasty off flavors out of your beer.

I can't speak from experience because I have only brewed one coffee porter and I cold brewed the coffee. I haven't tried to brew a beer using coffee that was normally brewed.

I have heard that cold brewing the coffee helps keep tannins and nasty off flavors out of your beer.

I can't speak from experience because I have only brewed one coffee porter and I cold brewed the coffee. I haven't tried to brew a beer using coffee that was normally brewed.

This is how I do it, cold brew and add at bottling time. My coffee stout was my best yet and it was only my third beer. Cold brewing gives a better flavor without the bitterness. I use hops for bitterness, I don't need more.

Thanks guys for all the help. I think im gonna go with the cold brewing at the bottle stage.
"Hey Porter"

Back