American Brown Ale (my first ever recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmicJam

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if you could check my first ever recipe. This will be my second batch and my first with steeping grain. I will steep the grains as if I were doing a mini-BIAB as a practice run for my next batch which will be partial mash.

With this rich Brown Ale I'm attempting to get a good balance of malt and hop aroma and flavour without too much bitterness.

Satan Worshipping Dark Ale:
23L Batch with 16.5L partial boil.

Base malt extracts:
2kg light DME (40%)
1.5kg pilsner LME (30%)
0.5kg Wheat DME (10%)

Grains at 67C for 1hr in 3L water (using preheated oven to maintain temp)
.5kg Crystal 60 (10%)
.25kg Choc malt (5%)
.15kg Special B (3%)
.10kg Roast barley (2%)

Hops (whole leaf)
15g Galaxy (60 min) (12.7 IBU)
20g Galaxy (20 min) (10.3 IBU)
30g Cascade (20 min) (8.6 IBU)
30g Cascade (5 min) (2.8 IBU)

Ferment for 1 month in primary using Safale US-05 (dry-rehydrated)
est OG=1.061
est FG=1.014
~35 IBU
~71 EBC

Not sure if this was the right place to post this. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

I think the recipe looks fantastic. It has all of the elements to make a solid american brown ale

-Mostly base malts
-A touch of wheat for body and head retention
-A good base of medium crystal
-Mostly chocolate malt for the dark roast with a touch of roasted barley to punch up the roastiness and color
-A little special B to add some complexity and dark fruit
-A solid hop schedule to add some hoppiness, but not overpower.

If this is your first recipe I would say youve done your research and youre gonna have a long hobby ahead of you if you are making recipes like this right away

:) Thanks mate, been doing heaps of reading. That's exactly what I wanted to hear, I'll be sure to post on how it goes. I wasn't really sure about the Special B but you have convinced me it has its place.

Not sure why I waited so long to start home brewing.

My first ever batch/recipe looked similar to this. I used more earthy/woody hops, however.

Northern Brewer as a bittering hop and Willamette/Fuggles as Aroma/Flavor hops.

Still looks delightful!

Back