Any home theater audio experts around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_Bigelow

Reaction score
I am a home theater newbie and looking for a nice sound system for my new TV - preferably under $750. My room is pretty small. About 15' x 20'.

I think I am looking for a 2.1 system. I do not want to run cables to the back of the room and I can not find any available decent quality wireless rear speaker kits available.

I already purchased and returned two set ups as they did not sound great. Sony CT-150 soundbar and sub didn't sound that great despite all the great reviews. Also I picked up a Bose Cinemax 2. Sound was pretty good, but sub would make a horrible crackling sound if I turned bass up. I am thinking I just got a bad unit.

My main question is that if I buy a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver (such as Pioneer VSX-1020), can I hook up just 2 speakers and a subwoofer? Or will it sound weird?

Secondly does anyone have any recommendations on what to get etc..

Dude.. Go here immediately.. do not pass go.. do not collect $200.. This forum is the audio/video equivalent (or moreso) of HomeBrewTalk.. Ask your questions, read reviews.. register.. these people will hook you up.. just like the people here will do regarding HomeBrewing...

:mug:

Thanks I will check it out. I tried another audio forum and received no responses. I thought some people here might have some knowledge.

Naw man.. That's the place you want to go.. just like this is for HB..

I have been a member there for years... Every time I need to replace, troubleshoot, repair, or upgrade something, the geeks there have been super.. and their advice spot on...

And the geeks there are even geekier about their 'obsessions' than the geeks here...
:mug:

avsforum is the ****z. I've been a member there since time began.

Bad sound might be a problem with the room, not the equipment. I have an odd room with a lot of windows that I just can't tune properly. Too much reflection.

You may also want to go to Parts Express on the internet. Along with a forum, they have experts on the phone you can consult with. Good gear, great prices, and they won't steer you wrong.

I was up until 2.30 last night reading the above AV forum. I ended up ordering a Pioneer 920 receiver, with all BIC America speakers. DV62si bookshelf speakers, DV32CLR center and F12 subwoofer. With all the cables etc I was at about $715 shipped from Amazon.

Normally you can turn off unused channels in your receiver. just leave the fronts and the sub on. consider 3.1 Left-Center-Right. it will give you nice definition of vocal positioning.

Good choice on the Pioneer. Just about anything Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon or Sony you can't go wrong. Most mid to upper range receivers recognize what speakers are connected and can adjust according. Good number of HDMI inputs for a receiver of that price!

Hope you enjoy it!

Jason

AVS is the bomb.com I use it when ever I have any audio video questions or looking into whats new.

-=Jason=-

avsforum is the ****z. I've been a member there since time began.

Bad sound might be a problem with the room, not the equipment. I have an odd room with a lot of windows that I just can't tune properly. Too much reflection.

properly placed bass traps might help with your room, my theater room was a pita to tune

I was up until 2.30 last night reading the above AV forum. I ended up ordering a Pioneer 920 receiver, with all BIC America speakers. DV62si bookshelf speakers, DV32CLR center and F12 subwoofer. With all the cables etc I was at about $715 shipped from Amazon.

when running auto calibration your pio will automatically detect and setup for your speeker configuration. when running auto setup, place the mike in your sweet spot and tiptoe out of the room, don't make a peep untill its done. the pioneer setup is REAL sensetive. nice avr btw, happy listening :mug:

Check out sound bars. for 750 you could get a really nice one. you could also set up a nice 3.1 surround system for about that much.

Latest posts

Back