Measure of a man vs. Starbucks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskanmoosehunter

Reaction score
I like to think of myself as, the kind of guy you think about when you watch the outdoor channel. You know the type...The blue collar guy. The one other men, who wear suits to work snicker at. Forcing me to return the favor by making fun of their "pink" power ties while rolling up my sleeves.

Having said that, I am having a hard time with this right now. I feel that Starbucks is taking some of my manhood away evertime I go to the counter and say, "Venti, Carmel Frappicino with carmel drizzle in the cup with no whip." AHHHHAAHHH, I hate it!

I stare at the floor as if I am a criminal trying to avoid being identified while committing a crime.

I swear that Starbucks is the DEVIL!

Wait....You going to Starbucks?

I'll come with ya, I need to pick me up a Venti Carmel Frappicino with carmel drizzle in the cup with no whip.....Damn-it! I fell victim again, Son-of-*****.

Tooo easy to fix. Order a triple Espresso and then order your drink for the "wife in the car". You can then walk out with your head up and still have your girly drink. LMAO:ban:

I hate that Venti crap. Its an effin large!!! I go to Seattle's Best, they got it right. Why do they call it a tall? Because they don't want to call it a small coffee, that's why. What's so wrong with a small coffee? Or a large one for that matter.

I call it a large, not a Venti, that's how I cope.

Or you could man up and go to a Tim Horton's or even a Dunkin Donuts, and order a REAL cup of coffee, and leave all that girly flavored crap behind. Heck even 7-11's have all that testosterone stealing flavorings, but you grab your own damn cup, make it yourself, and pay for it, you don't even have to say a word to the cashier if you don't want to. None of that buttsecks "vente" lisping crap....Just real coffee. ;)

Last time I went to I ordered a large 3 times while the counter girl tried to correct me...Venti my aaaassss !
Pat

I hate that Venti crap. Its an effin large!!! I go to Seattle's Best, they got it right. Why do they call it a tall? Because they don't want to call it a small coffee, that's why. What's so wrong with a small coffee? Or a large one for that matter.

I call it a large, not a Venti, that's how I cope.

You know, they're owned by Starbucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle's_Best_Coffee

They just took over for the Burger King's Coffee in NJ.

"I would like a medium coffee."
"One Grande coffee"
"No, no, I would like a medium"
"But....."
They usually give up and I smile.

I like to think of myself as, the kind of guy you think about when you watch the outdoor channel. You know the type...The blue collar guy. The one other men, who wear suits to work snicker at. Forcing me to return the favor by making fun of their "pink" power ties while rolling up my sleeves.

Having said that, I am having a hard time with this right now. I feel that Starbucks is taking some of my manhood away evertime I go to the counter and say, "Venti, Carmel Frappicino with carmel drizzle in the cup with no whip." AHHHHAAHHH, I hate it!

I stare at the floor as if I am a criminal trying to avoid being identified while committing a crime.

I swear that Starbucks is the DEVIL!

Wait....You going to Starbucks?

I'll come with ya, I need to pick me up a Venti Carmel Frappicino with carmel drizzle in the cup with no whip.....Damn-it! I fell victim again, Son-of-*****.

Coffee wisdom from Dr. Dennis Leary:

Last edited by a moderator:
I make it simple: Venti Bold. 'Room for cream?' Not necessary. :D

I used to bristle against the Venti and order a Large, but in the past couple of years I have given in. I do have the embarrassment of having to order SWMBO's Grande non-fat peppermint mocha, no whip, but it is always accompanied by Venti Bold.

Now, I normally brew my own at home, but there are times when I have run out or we are out and about that I do need to stop into Starbucks. For me, they get just plain coffee right, most other places I find to be either too weak or on the hot plate too long, or just don't have the right taste.

And Revvy: I do miss Timmy-Ho's since moving down here, if only for the cinnamon rolls!

Make coffee at home, or at least start drinking cappachino or lattes. Order the ice cream sunday from a custard stand.

OT: I do not like Starbucks. Aside from the mochafrapalotacrappe, I am on the burned side of the argument. There espresso tastes like burned underwear dipped in rancid acid.

Make coffee at home, or at least start drinking cappachino or lattes. Order the ice cream sunday from a custard stand.

OT: I do not like Starbucks. Aside from the mochafrapalotacrappe, I am on the burned side of the argument. There espresso tastes like burned underwear dipped in rancid acid.

Ok let me be the first to ask..What did you use for a reference on the espresso ?

Or roast your own beans and brew your own at home. I get most of my coffee intake from my own home roasted beans.
If I have to stop at a Starbucks then its a Quadshot on Ice in the Large cup with extra ice. If they made the espresso correctly then it shouldn't be too bitter but it probably will be.

Man up and drink your coffee black! Or find a local coffee shop. Their coffee is probably better anyways.

Ok let me be the first to ask..What did you use for a reference on the espresso ?
This is the first time you have ever heard this? In the coffee world, Starbucks is referred to as "Charbucks". As in they char the hell out of their beans, especially the espresso roasts. Their espresso is indeed quite awful. My comparison is all of the other espresso I've had at various local and chain coffee houses that didn't taste like crap.

Or roast your own beans and brew your own at home. I get most of my coffee intake from my own home roasted beans.
If I have to stop at a Starbucks then its a Quadshot on Ice in the Large cup with extra ice. If they made the espresso correctly then it shouldn't be too bitter but it probably will be.

That's what I do. Bought one of those little roasters from williams brewing - money well spent. Green coffee is about half the price of roasted so the machine will pay for itself after 5-6 lb of coffee. It's kind of interesting to vary the darkness of the roast and see how it affects flavor. I initially roasted very dark because I like bold coffee. Turns out I was cooking off a lot of flavor, not intensifying it. When I backed off on the roast, the flavors really came alive.

I may hit a Starbucks when I'm on the road and want a decent cup of coffee (Bold) but I really don't like those coffee-candy desert drinks.

If you insist on continuing to go to Starbucks for this coffee drink, I have to ask; don't they recognize you & remember your regular order? If so, just tell them you have a new manly nickname for your drink; call it the "The Rock" or something.

That's what I do. Bought one of those little roasters from williams brewing - money well spent. Green coffee is about half the price of roasted so the machine will pay for itself after 5-6 lb of coffee. It's kind of interesting to vary the darkness of the roast and see how it affects flavor. I initially roasted very dark because I like bold coffee. Turns out I was cooking off a lot of flavor, not intensifying it. When I backed off on the roast, the flavors really came alive.

I may hit a Starbucks when I'm on the road and want a decent cup of coffee (Bold) but I really don't like those coffee-candy desert drinks.

My first roaster was a $7 Poppery Popcorn popper, then that died, then I bought a $18 Target Brand Popper that isn't quite ideal but works, and I've also got a small $5 thrift store popper as a backup as well. If anyone wants to start roasting its really just as easy as buying some green beans, and going to a thrift store for a popper.

Dunkin' Donuts, FTW. Great coffee, no attitude.

Easy big fella. It's decent run of the mill coffee. But it is lacking a lot of flavor.

Wondering if I'm the only person in this country who has never even stepped foot into a Starbucks ?

Yes. Congratulations. You are a better man for it.

I used to be a Starbucks junkie in the late 90s before there were three on every corner. For the past ten years or so, we have been brewing our own at home and have never looked back. We go to a local roaster, Willoughby's and have been using the same type of beans for about five years, and they have been reliable in flavor.

I'll occasionally go to Starbucks if we're out and I want some coffee, but I stick with either a hot or iced coffee or go with a Red Eye (coffee with a shot of espresso (or is it two - one of them is a red eye, the other is a black eye)).

You know, they're owned by Starbucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle's_Best_Coffee

They just took over for the Burger King's Coffee in NJ.

Don't really care who owns them, they call it a large and I'm good with that.

Last time I went to I ordered a large 3 times while the counter girl tried to correct me...Venti my aaaassss !
Pat

They try that with me, too. The conversation usually goes something like this:

I'd like a large (insert coffee of choice here)
Don't you mean a Venti?
Venti? Is that a large?
Yes.
Then I'd like a large.

I usually get a dirty look, but they get me my damn coffee.

And no tip.

If they want to call the large Venti (20 in Italian), why don't they be consistent and call the others by the size? Morons.

"I would like a medium coffee."
"One Grande coffee"
"No, no, I would like a medium"
"But....."
They usually give up and I smile.

Here's a little cartoon that runs along those lines (sorta):

Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Large, hot, strong and black. That's all.

Bull

... not that there's anything wrong with that.

Methinks the Op protests too much. Anyone who feels their masculinity is threatened by ordering a "Venti" coffee, I mean, I'm just playing armchair psychologist but methinks you've got some insecurities to work out.

With that said, **** Starbucks. The only time I've ever bought coffee at SBUX is on the Thruway when it's literally the only choice at some rest stops. The pretentiousness annoys me, but it doesn't make me feel less of a man.

EDIT: Wait, you're ordering a "Carmel Frappicino with carmel drizzle in the cup with no whip"? Maybe you really ARE a little fem ***** at heart. ;)

I like my coffee like I like my women: Hot, Black, and just enough sweet to take the bitter edge off.

But... come to think of it... with a little whipped cream and a caramel drizzle doesn't sound all that bad either.

I like my coffee like I like my women...

...ground up and in the freezer.

Back