Stinky, Clumpy Wyeast Irish Ale Yeas Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I want to start off by saying I've fermented stinky beers. I've done lagers, I've done Kolsches, I know what a stinky fermentation is...

But the Irish I did a week ago smells pretty rank. Something similar to rotten eggs but more like cat farts. Yes, cat farts. The odor has subsided somewhat but I can't smell fermented beer through the airlock. Just a lighter cat fart odor.

I knew I shouldn't but I cleaned and sanitized the lid and my hands to crack open the bucket and see what the heck was up. Well, imagine my surprise when I saw several larger, clumpy (possibly slimy?) alleged yeast colonies at the top and some smaller ones dotting the surface. I've seen some bad infections and this doesn't look like any of them, so I'm a bit baffled.

Full disclosure: This yeast packet, when received was partially frozen. I let it slowly thaw so as to not shock the yeast or injure them further. The only thing noticeable about the fermentation was the odor afterward.

EDIT: Also, it proofed just fine.

Sounds like my experience with Wyeast Irish Ale. I don't recall having that bad of a smell, though. I think I remember posting a question on here about some sort of "Alien looking landscape" or something that was floating around in my beer.

Long story, short...the Irish Red came out awesome! The yeast, though, definitely frightened someone doing their first batch ever!

Thanks for the input, Weez. Out of curiosity, how long did you give your Irish in primary and secondary combined? I want to give this a good chance to, uh...air out.

I didn't secondary at all. I let it run in the primary for about 3 weeks, and then went straight to bottles.

Back