Insects in corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmc1

Reaction score
I made a batch of Eds Afpelwein today and after I got everthing mixed together and moved my carboy to the closet I noticed about 5 or 6 gnat sized insects floating on top. After checking everything I found that they were in my corn sugar not many just 3 or 4 in a 1lb bag. I really wouldn't worry if they had been boiled but now I'm afraid they might give my Afelwein an infection. What do you guys think?

If they are fruitflies, there is a good chance that you'll make apple cider vinegar. If they aren't, just some other kind of bugs, you might be ok. I'm a squeamish person, so seeing insects would freak me out and I'd throw it out.

Eww... Did you get the dextrose from your LHBS pre-packed? I'd draw them out with a sanitized turkey baster and bring them to the LHBS with my receipt. Heads may roll...

Eww... Did you get the dextrose from your LHBS pre-packed? I'd draw them out with a sanitized turkey baster and bring them to the LHBS with my receipt. Heads may roll...

Yep bought it pre-packaged. I still have some in the packs with insects in them thats how I knew it was the sugar. They are not alive but if you look close you can see a few in the bag.

throw it in the freezer. It'll kill 'em.

They are already dead. In fact they look dehydrated. I opened a bag and removed a couple, put them in some water and they swelled up some. If they were processed with the sugar I'm not to worried about it.

Well I took a couple of the insects over to the local agriculture extension office and they said that they are Grain Beetles. So I'm gonna just wait and see what happens.

Back