Weekend Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its02003

Reaction score
This was my project for this afternoon. I made it to fit into my Igloo 60qt cooler.

DSC_0781_1.JPG

DSC_0783_1.JPG

DSC_0784_1.JPG

I was wondering what suggestions everyone has for cutting the holes in the bottom....how many???? what size????? etc.

Sorry for the technical difficulties, I was having some issues linking to my picasa files. Now that I have opened my eyes, issues have been fixed :mug:

I used a hack saw and cut slots every 1/2" on my manifold. The cuts were about 1/3 of the way through the pipe. The article in BYO suggested not cutting over half way through the pipe.

I'm not sure it's necessary to solder all the joints though. It's ok if everything is not air tight, because you want the water to drain. It makes it easier to take apart and clean if it's not solder as well.

i used a thin cutting disc on a dremel and made cuts everything 1/2" and tried to make the cuts around 1/3 the way thru, although some went over half and are fine.

I am learning that the hard way....anyone in the central CT area have a dremel they could loan out for a couple days????? :mad:

dremel.
And you may come to regret having soldered it all together. I like being able to dismantle mine and use a long thin brush to clean it thoroughly after a brew day.
Live and learn, though! If you have a pump to push cleaners through and super water pressure for rinsing, hopefully you'll be okay.

I'm not so much worried about keeping it clean. Since its copper, as long as I boil it after each batch and blow some water through the whole contraption, I don't anticipate any real issues. Its got plenty of holes for crap to shoot out of.. :)

do you boil it? I never thought of that. I just pop mine apart and drop it in my soapy sink as I'm cleaning up during the boil. I am freakishly anal about the cleanliness of my gear though. I've re-scrubbed pots because a spider made a web to the side (outside) of the pot while it was in the garage between brews. :) Or maybe I just love scrubbing!

i only soldered a few joints, which ensured i could take enough of it apart to clean it well.

Back