Parallel forum universe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had some problems with my pool chlorinator this weekend and so i hopped on a forum. Some striking similarities.

Is my beer ruined? = Is my pool leaking?
Aluminum vs SS = Chlorine vs Salt
What type of beer should I brew? = What type of filter system should I buy?

I have a 575 hp 43 foot diesel pusher and I'm towing a Hummer, how do I improve my mileage? = I put an extra 15 pounds of table sugar in my beer to raise the ABV a little. Why isn't it fermenting?

Now that I got my humidor I've been poking around clubstogie.com, its the same forum software/whatever as HBT, so everything is eerily similar. Its laid out alost identical. BTW, there its Cuban vs. Non-Cuban.;)

Hop on a motorcycle forum and ask about synthetic oil vs conventional.

Or ask about octane ratings, or platinum spark plug brands.

I have a 575 hp 43 foot diesel pusher and I'm towing a Hummer, how do I improve my mileage? = I put an extra 15 pounds of table sugar in my beer to raise the ABV a little. Why isn't it fermenting?

Yeah, but what gets me about the 15 lbs of table sugar threads is that they must think they are the first person to come up with the idea of making really strong beer by adding sugar. Otherwise, the thought would immediately be followed by, "why don't other brewers do this?" Which would then lead to an inquiry on the matter, which would be followed shortly thereafter with them giving up on the idea.

So I mean, what does that say about the image of us homebrewers for some newb to come on board and think he's solved this miraculous puzzle on how to make strong beer by simply adding more sugar... as if Budweiser, Coors, Sam Adams, etc etc etc had never thought of this? As if this had never occurred to other homebrewers? I mean, to think that this is the path to strong beer, you'd have to almost assume all homebrewers sit around with their thumbs up their butt, afraid to add more malt or sugar... or that we like weak beer.

I mean, honestly. I think that's what chaps my ass about the people who actually add ridiculous amounts of sugar... it's not that they want to experiment, it's that they take the most obvious route without thinking that maybe somebody (or everybody) has been down that road before...

I mean, it'd be like joining a bicycle forum for you to tell folks about this great new riding method you've discovered which you call pedaling!!!!

Mature 19 year old wants Hayabusa for 1st bike...

vs.

Hai guys! how do i make wine coolers out of bread yeast, 20 pounds of sugar, and some kool aid?

Man, I don't even visit the bicycling forum I used to hang around in...an endless stream of the same "x vs. y" debates and n00b questions. But a lot less polite/helpful than HBT, so everything devolves into a flame war pretty quickly.
helmet vs. no helmet (yeast starter, or not?)
I want to start riding my bike to work....what bike should I buy? (I just brewed my first beer...what beer should I brew next?)
vehicular cycling vs. non-VC (extract vs. AG)
steel vs. aluminum (sound familiar?)
and on and on and on...

man, I'm glad the only other forum I visit is somethingawful, where all they do is mock everyone(including themselves) all day!

Back