Plastic fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Im doing an odd size batch that requires a smaller fermenter. I have a 3.5 gallon bucket that has the number 5 on the bottom with PP under it, whereas my normal plastic fermenting bucket has the number 2 with HDPE stamped on it. Is this bucket safe for fermenting with? Due to lack of space this would be sitting for 3 weeks, then straight to the keg.

I think the general consenses is that it's too gas permeable for storage that long. You can use just about anything for the 1 week it's in the primary IMHO but after that you need something that will keep the O2 out.

I think the general consenses is that it's too gas permeable for storage that long. You can use just about anything for the 1 week it's in the primary IMHO but after that you need something that will keep the O2 out.

That sucks. I guess I could go 7 days then keg it.

I think the 02 permeability question comes in after at least a month. I would not be worried. I would be far more concerned with what was previously in the bucket.

I'm still new to this, but why can't you use your normal (assuming larger) fermenter? The CO2 produced should push out all the oxygen in the extra headspace.

I think the 02 permeability question comes in after at least a month. I would not be worried. I would be far more concerned with what was previously in the bucket.

I agree, the permeability issues is one of those brewing bogeymen...If you're going to ferment in 10-14 days time I wouldn't worry about it, even a month. You're not talking longeterm storage here, just the normal course of fermentation.

The bigger concern (and only slightly bigger) is what the container had in it before hand....If it was food (like frosting or something) you'll be fine, if it was roach powder, then you'd be in trouble. :D

The bucket is brand spanking new, I only bought for this one time brew, so I was hoping it would work. I normally use glass for fermenters, but im running short and this one needs to sit on the freezer hump so I needed a low profile bucket.:D

The bucket is brand spanking new, I only bought for this one time brew, so I was hoping it would work. I normally use glass for fermenters, but im running short and this one needs to sit on the freezer hump so I needed a low profile bucket.:D

Does it already have a grommeted hole for an airlock? If not you can pick one of them up at a hardware store...

image_handler.ashx

I think the general consensus is a plastic labeled 1 or 2 is the best. And that 7 or unmarked should definately be avoided.

Put it this way: just go pick up another bucket/lid/airlock for $20 or whatever, instead of risking losing a batch

Back