120V Electric System with gas booster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phlipot89

Reaction score
Has anyone ever successfully set up a good working electric HERMS or RIMS system?

I was thinking of setting up a PID system using one element at a time but with Electric elements instead of gas.

However I was thinking of using a gas burner and electric burner to get the water to temp then once it got close switching over to only electric.

I read somewhere where someone set up an element and thermometer in both the HLT and Brew Tank, then when one was about finished they would unplug the element and thermometer from the HLT and plug in the Brew Kettle...

:confused: :confused:
Any ideas or advice would be great!!!

Philipot, I am close by to you, I am currently in the middle of an all electric HERMS build. Let me know if I can be of any help. I am now living in Hartville/Marlboro

they make elements that are 110v/240v it is just going to take longer to get the temperature but i think i couple 110v on two different circuits (this being key) would work fine.

Thanks wise, that's what I was thinking. I know it is going to take longer that is why I was thinking about using propane to "speed it up" so when it gets a close temp, I would switch to electric to maintain it.

so you are really just looking to maintain a consistent mash temp rather heat with electric for other reasons. If that is the case I would look into a RIMS system thats gas fired. The elements that fit in the tubes are usually all 120v and I have heard that people can heat up to mash temps by recirculating

Back