Monster Krausen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyCajun

Reaction score
I brewed my first big beer ( OG 1.086) in a long time last night. The kit came with dry yeast which I never use so 2 days before I made a stater (2cups H2O and 1/2 cup DME). I used a blow off tube knowing this 5gal. creature could over run my 6gal carboy. Anyway the thing took off like a rocket! I now have over a half gallon of settled foam (beer?) in my catch container and the fermentation is still speeding up. What can I do to settle this bad boy down? Or do I need to invest in a bigger fermenter? I hate to waste beer!

You normally don't need to make a starter for dried yeast. You can put it in warm water to check viability if your concerned.

Making a starter out of dry yeast actually reduces viability. I know that probably doesn't help you at this point, but next time rehydrate in warm water.

Making a starter out of dry yeast actually reduces viability. I know that probably doesn't help you at this point, but next time rehydrate in warm water.

I wasnt aware of this...why is this?

I brewed my first big beer ( OG 1.086) in a long time last night. The kit came with dry yeast which I never use so 2 days before I made a stater (2cups H2O and 1/2 cup DME). I used a blow off tube knowing this 5gal. creature could over run my 6gal carboy. Anyway the thing took off like a rocket! I now have over a half gallon of settled foam (beer?) in my catch container and the fermentation is still speeding up. What can I do to settle this bad boy down? Or do I need to invest in a bigger fermenter? I hate to waste beer!

What temperature is it fermenting at ?

bosco

Pitched at 78F, held @ 70F until fermentation started then brought it down to around 65F.

I wasnt aware of this...why is this?

Starters are used to develop more cells. Dry yeast has enough cells already - they only need to be 'woken up' by putting in some warm water. Search for some information on rehydrating dry yeast.

Okay, so it finally settled down 48+ hours later and is slowly bubbling away. What are the long term affects of over pitching with way too munch yeast?

Pitched at 78F, held @ 70F until fermentation started then brought it down to around 65F.

Normally you want to go the other direction. :ban:
Start fermenting at a cooler temp (65) and slowly let it rise over the fermentation. And try not to pitch until you've reached pitching temps. The wort will survive a couple of hours without any yeast!

Back