AWESOME aquarium hardcore question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tank is only half full and all lines are in the tank, the filter, should it fail, overflows into the tank. I also have a LOT of rocks in the tank that displace a lot of water.

It would still be a mess, but I think it would be manageable.

Yup, having in tank filtration takes a lot of the risk out of it. Make sure to epoxy those rocks down though!

For me, the list of what could go wrong went something like this:

• Blown out seal
  • Mechanical failure, sump overflow
  • Reef rock structure collapse, possibly caused by my livestock.
  • Hitchiker mantis "thumb splitter" shrimp. Capable of breaking glass with their strike!
  • Fish/snail finds it's way into overflow plumbing and clogs it.
  • Auto Top off float switch/valve fails
  • My children
  • Other peoples children
  • My dogs
  • Earthquake
  • Loss of power, return line siphons back to sump and overflows it. (Smart design prevents this, but it can be a hard lesson to learn)

Somehow I managed to talk SWMBO into it though. Mostly because I kept all the doomsday's scenarios to myself and had a lot risk mitigation built into my rig.

My wife was an aquarium addict for about 7 years. All Freshwater, the majority dedicated to African and South American Ciclids. She started with 2 30 gallon tanks and expanded to 5. At the height of her obsession she had 13 tanks from (1) 10gal to (5) 55gal. We are down to (1) 55gal African Ciclid tank and she just offered that to a neighbor.

My wife was an aquarium addict for about 7 years. All Freshwater, the majority dedicated to African and South American Ciclids. She started with 2 30 gallon tanks and expanded to 5. At the height of her obsession she had 13 tanks from (1) 10gal to (5) 55gal. We are down to (1) 55gal African Ciclid tank and she just offered that to a neighbor.

WOW. That is a little frightening!

I am in for very little $$$ so far.......

One 70 gallon tank - $25 on craigslist.
Filter - $29 +
$29(got a more powerful pump)
Plecos - $20 (1 big 1 smallish)
BIG crawdad - $10

Turtles, crawfish, tadpoles free from local creek.

Assorted goldfish and shrimp are ongoing food for the other animals so I don't count them.

All rocks, gravel, log etc, free from the creek.

So REALLY, I have very little invested, and nothing in the tank is irreplaceable.

The turtles have the highest priority. If anything threatened them seriously, it would be left for dead to be consumed by the turtles.

The Plecos are second followed by the BIG crawdad.

I am beginning to be attached to the 2 big goldfish that have outsmarted the turtles for so long and doubled in size, but they still do not rank officially.

That's the other thing I don't miss. Living in constant fear that my tank was a ticking time bomb! Acrylic's are no guarantee against failure either.

I know someone that that came home to many gallons of stench on the floor because his protein skimmer decided to go haywire with foam production and overflowed the skimmate reservoir.
He's still not entirely sure why, but it wasn't mechanical. Some sort of event occurred that (possibly coral chemical warfare) caused his tank to go into a rapid crash. The water was dark green and almost everything was dead or dying.

Probably an anemone croaked. I've made that mistake too many times.

My skimmer is in a very large sump. No worry about it. But there are myriad other things that could cause catastrophe. Luckily I live worry-free due to my other hobby, beer.

Holy crap that would suck. I have always worried about that happening in my house. Did homeowners insurance cover it?
Yeah, they covered it. The adjuster came two days after the incident, and then the day after that I got a phone call from his supervisor. Seems when they saw "Aquarium Leak" on the claim form, they were figuring small area of carpet damage, maybe some drywall, and when the estimate came back for $8k, they thought something was up. The supervisor and a senior adjuster came and looked at it again, and while they came up with a slightly lower number, they let the initial check ride. A big reason for the high dollar amount is with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom, the entire upper level is uninterrupted hardwood, and they figured the entire surface would have to be sanded and refinished. Plus, the basement was one large empty space, with a finished ceiling -- in a type of sheetrock that they had never seen before (they actually took a chunk of it with them to show the guys back at the office. Pretty hideous stuff...sheetrock covered with a wood-grain contact paper type stuff)

Biggest lesson I learned through the ordeal.... when you're standing in your socks, in front of the tank, with water cascading out onto the floor, be very careful moving the light hood. Don't drop it in the tank. (Amazingly, nothing happened at this point). But also, don't reach THROUGH the waterfall, under the stand, and grab the power strip the whole works is plugged into. Yep. I rode the lightning. Hurt like a SONOFAB___.

Yeah, they covered it. The adjuster came two days after the incident, and then the day after that I got a phone call from his supervisor. Seems when they saw "Aquarium Leak" on the claim form, they were figuring small area of carpet damage, maybe some drywall, and when the estimate came back for $8k, they thought something was up. The supervisor and a senior adjuster came and looked at it again, and while they came up with a slightly lower number, they let the initial check ride. A big reason for the high dollar amount is with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom, the entire upper level is uninterrupted hardwood, and they figured the entire surface would have to be sanded and refinished. Plus, the basement was one large empty space, with a finished ceiling -- in a type of sheetrock that they had never seen before (they actually took a chunk of it with them to show the guys back at the office. Pretty hideous stuff...sheetrock covered with a wood-grain contact paper type stuff)

Biggest lesson I learned through the ordeal.... when you're standing in your socks, in front of the tank, with water cascading out onto the floor, be very careful moving the light hood. Don't drop it in the tank. (Amazingly, nothing happened at this point). But also, don't reach THROUGH the waterfall, under the stand, and grab the power strip the whole works is plugged into. Yep. I rode the lightning. Hurt like a SONOFAB___.

Wow thats insane. I always woundered if home owners would cover something like that though. Im glad it does. Mine is 125 g. It would pretty much sunami my whole house.

Scary. Did you replace the tank or are you done? A GFCI is a must have. Only problem is, they tend to trip a lot if your home is prone to dirty power i.e. surges/brown outs like mine. Not fun to come home to an aquarium full of floaters. Holy crap, how long has this thing been off?!!

Scary. Did you replace the tank or are you done? A GFCI is a must have. Only problem is, they tend to trip a lot if your home is prone to dirty power i.e. surges/brown outs like mine. Not fun to come home to an aquarium full of floaters. Holy crap, how long has this thing been off?!!

YES. Must have the entire tank on a GFCI. Mine trips for some reason every few months. Also, you should have a titanium rod in the tank (and sump if you have one) that is tied to earth ground. Usually this means it's screwed into a wallplate screw or plugged into the ground pin of an outlet.

passedpawn said:
Are you reef guys running metal halides, fluroescents, or a mix?

Was a 4x54w T5HO, but out of the hobby now. If I went back in I'd probably run Kessil LED's.

Latest posts

Back