kettle wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scweco

Reaction score
I was looking at spa panels to hook up my kettles by bypassing my Ac/heat pump disconnect, which is 220 60amp. If I am by passing my heatpump and tieing into my home panel, wouldn't the gfci on the home panel be enough protection to not have to even buy/hookup another panel/breaker? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

You'll have to provide more details of how everything is wired, but in general you only need 1 GFCI on the circuit. So *if* your AC is on GFCI, you can use that circuit. (Not all breakers are GFCI, so make sure your AC really is on GFCI.)

But keep in mind that very few systems you see here are scaled for 60 amps. Most are 30, some are 50. Kal might have build specs for 60, but it's going to be expensive to get components that support 60 amps.

Another option is a 30 or 50 amp (dual-pole) breaker between you and the 60 amp circuit. This additional breaker would not need to be GFCI, if the 60 breaker in your main box is already GFCI.

Yes, only one GFCI is needed in the circuit. However, it is very unlikely your existing home panel is actually GFCI. The most common are breakers, older houses may still have fuses. While standard breakers and fuses will stop current in the event of too much draw, they do so to protect the wiring, rather than GFCI, which cuts the circuit off when it detects a fault to ground, which protects people.

The odds of the heatpump being on a 60a gfci breaker is slim. Hardwired appliances don't have to be. When you say "bypass" exactly how do you plan to do that? Remove the wires from the breaker? Not the best way to swap between uses.

Without any discussion about code, the line from the breaker could go to a large transfer switch, basically a 60a DPDT switch to select which device is active. The one for the brewery should hit a 60a spa panel.

Back