FirsLager!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMatt

Reaction score
Well I just couldn't wait for winter. I went ahead and took the plunge and brewed my first lager! Ive been brewing all-grain Ales for quite some time now, and have yet to even attempt a Lager, especially for the fact that I live in Florida, and add on top of that, all of the horror stories I read on here about the problems people have had doing their first lagers, getting lager yeasts to start, etc. And I must say, so far either I have been lucky, or its just really not much more difficult than doing an ale.

I went with a nice, simple traditional bock recipe, and fiddled with my laundry room fridge for a week and finally managed to get it to hold at 48-50 degrees constant. So I made a 2L starter with Wyeast Bavarian lager on Thursday night, and I must say, it did take a bit for it to really take off. By the time I brewed up the 2.5g batch of wort, and chilled it to 60F on Sunday, the starter looked to be at high krausen. What luck! So I aerated and pitched the starter, and 8 hours later it is happily churning away in the fridge! So I'll keep checking the gravity every weekend until it gets down to the D-rest range, then raise it to 65 in my ale fermentation chamber for a couple of days, then rack over to a secondary and throw it back in the fridge until it finishes.

Just wanted to share my experience with Lager brewing thus far with those that may be a bit skeptical. I'll update as the process progresses. Wish me luck!

Well I just couldn't wait for winter. I went ahead and took the plunge and brewed my first lager! Ive been brewing all-grain Ales for quite some time now, and have yet to even attempt a Lager, especially for the fact that I live in Florida, and add on top of that, all of the horror stories I read on here about the problems people have had doing their first lagers, getting lager yeasts to start, etc. And I must say, so far either I have been lucky, or its just really not much more difficult than doing an ale.

I went with a nice, simple traditional bock recipe, and fiddled with my laundry room fridge for a week and finally managed to get it to hold at 48-50 degrees constant. So I made a 2L starter with Wyeast Bavarian lager on Thursday night, and I must say, it did take a bit for it to really take off. By the time I brewed up the 2.5g batch of wort, and chilled it to 60F on Sunday, the starter looked to be at high krausen. What luck! So I aerated and pitched the starter, and 8 hours later it is happily churning away in the fridge! So I'll keep checking the gravity every weekend until it gets down to the D-rest range, then raise it to 65 in my ale fermentation chamber for a couple of days, then rack over to a secondary and throw it back in the fridge until it finishes.

Just wanted to share my experience with Lager brewing thus far with those that may be a bit skeptical. I'll update as the process progresses. Wish me luck!

It should be ready for a diacetyl rest in 7-10 days or so- it doesn't take very long for an active fermentation to finish.

So basically I can do it as soon as active fermentation stops? I do read mixed input on this. Some say do it a couple points before reaching the terminal gravity, and some say to do it like you said, as soon as the acrobatics are finished. Thanks for the input!

So basically I can do it as soon as active fermentation stops? I do read mixed input on this. Some say do it a couple points before reaching the terminal gravity, and some say to do it like you said, as soon as the acrobatics are finished. Thanks for the input!

Yes, I like to to it just before reaching the FG. That's when activity starts to slow down, in about 7-10 days more or less.

Happily churning away. Fridge temp is holding solid at 48F, so Im assuming the ferm temp is in the low 50's. Messed up and forgot to put the stick on fermometer on this little 2.5g container, and when I remembered it, I couldn't get it to stick because of the condensation lol, so I just left it.

IMAG0464.jpg

Took a gravity check today, and was only a few points from my F.G, so I transferred this batch over to my ale fermenting chamber and will let it sit there for a few days before transferring to secondary and bringing the temp back down.

I'm going to brew a Maibock tomorrow and had my doubts as well. Thanks for sharing your experience! I hope it turns out well.

Back