BlackOat Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottywags

Reaction score
Gonna try and blend a couple of the cider recipes that I've seen on here that I like and see how it goes.
I've brewed 3 1 gallon batches so far and am really new to this but you gotta start somewhere.
Anyways here is what I'm doing on this one:

5 gallons of WhiteHouse 100% Apple Juice
1 1/2 pounds of Brown Sugar
1 Pound Table Sugar
1/2 Pound Malto Dextrine
1 Package Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast
2 Quarts "Oat Milk" (borrowed from Daze...Thanks for the recipe)

After 1 week 3 bags of thawed blackberries.

After liquifying all the sugar and malto I will add all to the carboy with the Juice and yeast then airlock it and wait a week then add 3 bags of the thawed Blackberries. Then let sit for another 3 weeks.
I'm hoping to get a slightly sweet blackberry flavored cider with a nice smooth texture.
This should be in the carboy by the end of day!

Alright everybody is in the carboy except the maltodextrin and 1/2 gallon of the cider, I wanted to leave room for the blackberries that I'll add in a week. And after reading more on the malto...it seems I can add that at a later time as well if I wish. But for now I want to see how the oat milk does.
I tried to follow Daze's recipe on how he made the oat milk but that turned out to be a disaster for me. So I just cooked the oatmeal then threw it in the blender and let it run for a while. Then strained that through a mesh bag that drained into some cheese cloth then added about a cup of water and boiled for 30 minutes. Still a PIA so hopefully it'll be worth it.

Hydrometer reading is at 1.065

I'll be adding the Blackberries in about a week and I'll take another reading then.

For now...this is how she sits:

IMG_1258.jpg

I just took a hydro reading and it came in at 1.016 taste is pretty good, but I'm trying to figure a way to add the blackberries in a sterile fashion to the primary.
Any suggestions?

I roasted the oats (right before I read that you would probably skip this step next time..oh well) after roasting I added 2 cups of the oats to the 6 cups of boiling water. I then tried to strain through a piece of cheesecloth resting in a stainer. But to get any significant amount of "milk" you had to squeeze the cloth to help extract the milk, but by the time it cooled down enough for me to squeeze it turns into glue.

So today I added the 3 pounds of blackberries that had been thawed over night. I just cleaned and sanitized a pitcher and poured all of the in then removed the stopper and added them to the primary. I only dropped about 5 or 6 whole berries on the ground...everything else made it into the primary perfectly.

Here she sits, bubbling away:

IMG_1259.jpg

thats my bad, when I made mine I poured it through a sieve before I strained it with a cloth. As I was putting it through the sieve I had to add a little water to it to get the "milk" to separate from the solids. I will go back and change my directions to include that. Sorry

did the oat milk you made in the blender produce much sediment?? also what was your oat milk to cider ratio. I added 1 quart of "milk" to 3 quarts of cider to make 1 gallon in my recipe.

By sediment your referring to the stuff at the bottom of the carboy I assume. It doesn't seem to be much more than when I've made cider in the past. It has only been in there for 1 week, I'll post a pic once I rack it over.
To be honest I really didn't measure how much I put in, but if I were to guess I would say 3-4 cups.

An update to this post.....Hmmm, kind of embarrassed here....I stuck this in a closet and had forgotten about it until today when cleaning that back room.

This has been sitting in the closet since March and it's now Dec! That's almost 9 months!

There does not seem to be any mildew or anything weird about the rasberries still sitting on top...it really looks just like it did when I stuck it in the closet back in March....Should I rack this over and see if it's any good? What, if anything can I do...or is this probably gonna be really good?

IMG_1508.jpg

Two days ago I racked it over to another bucket, gonna let it sit there for a week then rack over to the bottling bucket.
Today I took a thief and tried it out.....It smells like pure alcohol but the taste is pretty smooth! I added a touch of splenda just to see how it would taste with a little sweetness and holy cow! It's awesome...So I decided I am going to add some xylo sweet to it prior to bottling and maybe a touch of dextrose to give it just a little carb.
Man, I can't wait to get this in a bottle and chilled...Should be next week sometime, I'll take some more pics then.

Sorry, It took me awhile to get around to bottling.

But today was the day...
Cleaned everything and sterilized.

I wanted this to have a bit of sweetness and a slight bit of carbonation so, following along with www.makinghardcider.com I added 23 spoonfuls of Xylo sweet and about 1/5 cup of Dextrose.

Here is the finished product and just waiting for this to carb up slightly. It's a really cool Copperish color don't ya think?

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

Maybe toss a few in that closet where the carboy was, let them age for a few months and see if they get even better. Thanks for sharing the end results!

Back