Saison BBD Saison Furtif

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats kinda what I figured... what I still don't get though, is do you just dump in the sugar solution and rely on osmosis to distribute it, or do you agitate the fermenting wort and risk disturbing the trub as its forming on the bottom of the bucket? :confused:

I dissolve the sugar in a small amount of water so it's basically a thin syrup, then I just pour it right in. The yeast will find it, wherever it goes. Once or twice, I didn't even take the lid off the ale pail. I just used a funnel and poured it in the airlock hole.

Going to be brewing this very soon. Have to make a couple of hops substitutes, trying to use the hops I have on hand, but the grain and yeast will definitely stay the same. Here's the subs I'm making.

Subbing:

Northern Brewer for Perle
Fuggles for Hallertau
Sterling for Saaz

I have all of these hops on hand, and according to some substitution charts I found, they should work well. Since I live in Florida, this is going to be a dream, since I won't have to worry about keeping the temperature ~70F. Can't wait!

Getting the ingredients for this one. I'm curious about your gravity. I assume your OG was taken at pitching, but did you try to take into account the added sugar? How would you calculate ABV due to that?

The OG is what Beersmith spits out for the recipe, so it would include the sugar. I always cut and paste from Beersmith when I post. If you add the sugar later (as I do) you should expect your OG to be a little under that.

The efficiency setting is set for 75%, and I usually do better than that so my OG after brewing is closer to that number than it might otherwise be, then the sugar boosts me over it a bit.

Ditto, but I use tastybrew.com/calculators. 1lb of belgian candy sugar boosts the OG 1.008 with final alcohol raised .8%

I use ibrewmaster on the iphone to calculate, but I always take an actual OG reading.
I'll use the calculator and factor in the additional for the sugar - it will be close enough.

I still take an OG, but use the numbers from tasty brew recipe as a starting point just to let me know if I hit High or Low of what it should be.

I am drinking one of these right now.

Thanks for the great recipe. I did this thinking that I would save some for a family gathering at the end of June. I put half of the batch in 22 oz bottles and was going to save those. BUt??????????????

I just may have to do another batch so I don't drink it all before then. :mug:

just bought the ingredients for this. starting it as soon as i get them.

thanks for another recipe chshre!

i was wondering, say i wanted to throw some orange peel in the mix... about how much and when would you think i should throw it in?

My recommendation would be to add the orange peel to the kettle 30 seconds after you take the beer out of it. :D

Orange peel really adds more bitterness than any orange flavor. If you're looking for something really "orangey", then I'd go with zest from a fresh orange instead.

zest. zest zest zest. i wish i had my dang terminology correct. yes, that is what i meant.

I tried this recipe and got a different result than others appear to have experienced. Admittedly, I made a couple of changes based upon what was available at the LHBS at the time, but the odd result seems to be from the yeast strain. Tell me what you think:

Had to use German pils instead of Belgian.
Hopped with Magnum and Saphir: 0.6oz Mag @ 60min, 1oz Sap @ 20min, 1oz Sap @ 1min.
4.2lbs XL DME @ 20min instead of the pale LME.
Left out the sugar because I prefer lower octane drink.
2L starter Wyeast 3711.
Fermented at ambient (68F-70F).

The odd result is that while I did not detect any such aroma in the starter, my beer has a dominant clove-like flavor that is strikingly similar to what you get from a german weissbier yeast strain.

Did anyone else pick up a clove-ish spice flavor? If so, maybe the hop schedule I used accentuated that. The pils wouldn't have had anything to do with it, I assume?

That said, the strain is a champ and fermented out fully and quickly. Also, the grain bill is excellent on this recipe. The wheat malt is a nice touch and is just noticeable. I can't comment on the hops since I went far afield from the OP's recipe on that. My saison is a good beverage, but it doesn't taste much like what I think a saison should be because of the dominant clove flavor. Next time I will try to get a more balanced and nuanced flavor profile. Maybe I will try hopping as described.

I brought this to my company's homebrew festival last week. I wasn't sure how people would react to a nearly 10% beer which is like nothing they've ever had. Long story short, I ran out quickly and had a constant group of people looking for more. I had the CEO request I brew another batch and save a bottle for him...

I'm going to brew this again after I get my ferm chamber completed so I can ferment this in the mid 80's. The first batch was fermented around 74-76 and I didn't get a lot of the spicy peppery notes. It was a little on the sweet side for me.

ok, finally got my ingredients in today and must admit that i didnt read through the whole thread before actually getting them. Wont be adding orange zest at all...

Just want to double check: mash in with 2.5gal strike and sparge with 2gal as well (accounting for some boil off) would give roughly 4.1 gal boil, afterwards topping off to 5.5 gal in primary, eh?

brewing tomorrow. life got in the way last month but i am stoked for this! seems to me like a blow-off is necessary. anything else that might be helpful to know for this specific beer?

*edit*
just noticed that your recipe from beersmith says 75 min boil but your own notes say 60 min... i assume this is a 60 min boil but figured i'd get that straightened out

Odd on the boil time. I never noticed that. Yeah, it's a 60 minute boil. But 75 wouldn't hurt it so long as you wait 15 for the first hop addition and do the last extract addition as usual.

I haven't ever needed a blowoff, but I use fermcap in the boil so I'm sure some carries over to the ferment.

maybe you meant 60 min boil, 75 min mash?

and as for 3711, i will not be controlling the temp... ima let it ride. might bring it up in the attic. gets pretty warm in there.

OG: 1.066. Used a 1ltr starter of the 3711. I am so stoked for this. I see that you used a secondary. Is this for a specific reason or just personal preference?

I can be a horrible klutz when it comes to handling the siphon. If I use a secondary, it gives my beer a second chance to settle out anything I suck up from the yeast cake. ;)

i gotcha. yeast is pounding the hell outta the beer already at less than 7 hours later.

howd you figure this recipe out?

Tried some saisons, looked up some recipes. Put together things I felt should be in a saison, plus things I personally liked and whipped it up in Beersmith.

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to making this one. The only thing that sucks is that I can't find any wyeast around here I did find wlp 565 saison which I'm thinking might work with similar results if I make a big starter and let temps get into 80s during ferment.

Beerloaf

from absolutely everything i have read about wyeast 3711 in and around HBT, i don't think there is a legtimate substitute for it with this beer. especially if you wanna bring your grav down to 1.000. unless maybe you start it off with a saison yeast and then finish it with a dry champagne yeast? definitely wouldnt taste the same though

*edit* just got home and checked on the carboy. holy. crap. i have never seen such a strong fermentation where ALL of the beer in the carboy is moving around like it's trying to freakin break out

I'm stoked with this recipe; this is my next brew. Ingredients are here and waiting. I do, however, have one question regarding the LME. I couldn't find a light or pale LME, but I did get the Briess Gold Unhopped LME, which they consider their pale. Is this ok or is it wrong?

Should work perfectly. If I could find locally, I'd probably make this with pilsner extract. I just don't want to order online every time.

ChshreCat, one more question. I noticed on your original post that you did a 4.10 gal. boil for 60 min. When and how did you add the rest of the water to make the 5.5 gal. batch? Did you add some previously boiled water to the fermenting bucket? What if you just boiled more than the 4.10, would that change the outcome?

if you boiled more than 4.1 it would change the hops utilization. this recipe is a partial mash/partial boil. you dont HAVE to top up at the end, but you get more aau's when you use a full boil as opposed to a partial boil and you would need to adjust accordingly.

if you want to follow the instructions to a T: strike 2.5 gal and sparge 2.0. you will end up with roughly 4.1 gal boil and then top up to 5.5

if you want to do a full boil, well, i havent calculated it but there are calculators for that.

I wouldn't worry too much about the change in utilization if you want to do a full boil.

Yes, I added top up water in the fermenter.

single stage fermentation for 30 days. bottling tonight. going to hawaii on wednesday so i wont be tempted to touch any until i get back in a couple weeks.

single stage fermentation for 30 days. bottling tonight. going to hawaii on wednesday so i wont be tempted to touch any until i get back in a couple weeks.

Did you add the pound of sugar to the fermenter and if so when? I brewed mine about 12 days ago and the airlock was still bubbling at day 9. Should I think about adding it now or wait a few more days?

I dissolved the sugar into a small amount of boiling water and added to the fermenter just as the ferment started to wind up.

Back