Where to visit (Oregon)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I have some vacation at the end of the month and was thinking of taking a trip somewhere in Oregon.

If I don't care to visit Portland (not that it's not a cool place or anything) and I live in Southern Oregon, where might be the best place to go to visit a bunch of brewries?

I'm thinking Bend has the next highest brewery density but am not sure.

Would love your thoughts!!
:tank:

Hex: Go there all the time (well... to their tap house anyway). I work like 5 minutes from them. I go there after work of course. LOL

I am in Bend, great for beer and vacation, imo.

Highest number of breweries/bewpubs per capita in the world (edit, there are places with more, as I have been informed here). Without leaving town you can hit a bunch (Deschutes, Bend Brewing Co., Silver Moon, Boneyard, Cascade Lakes, 10 Barrel). 10 Barrel is particularly exciting in the coming months, because they landed the brewer behind Dissident and Abyss at Deschutes. So expect excellent stuff out of them.

Highest number of breweries/bewpubs per capita in the world, I am pretty sure.

Newp, not even close (though closer than Portland which always tries to claim this). For starters, several cities in Vermont have you beat, Burlington the largest among them.

ETA, just to rub salt in the wound I'll remind you that they were brewing Cascadian Dark Ales in Vermont in the early 90s, they just didn't know to call them that since they wouldn't be made out west for another decade.

I am in Bend, great for beer and vacation, imo.

Highest number of breweries/bewpubs per capita in the world, I am pretty sure. Without leaving town you can hit a bunch (Deschutes, Bend Brewing Co., Silver Moon, Boneyard, Cascade Lakes, 10 Barrel). 10 Barrel is particularly exciting in the coming months, because they landed the brewer behind Dissident and Abyss at Deschutes. So expect excellent stuff out of them.

They got Jimmy and the lady from Bend Brewing. Why both? I have no idea.

Go to Hoodriver Oregon, fullsail Brewing is there, and you probably wont want to leave!

Google LoLo pass, cool little hike.

Pacific city, OR are were the pics of the beach were taken.

And the Hill top hotel on the "almost summit of hood" its cool

Also go in August, IMO best time to go.

oregon 023.jpg

oregon 029.jpg

oregon 236.jpg

oregon 025.jpg

I'd do Pacific City and Newport (Rogue Ales, a Rogue Ales Public House and a McMennimans if you are into that sort of thing).

Pelican Brewery is on the beach too, i mean on the beach! We got 3 1/2gallons hiked the sand dune and got drunk and watched the sunset. The pic looking at the beach if from the top.

They got Jimmy and the lady from Bend Brewing. Why both? I have no idea.
There was an article in the Bend Bulletin a couple weeks ago about 10 Barrel undergoing a major expansion by summer. They were still trying to nail down the new property at the time.

There was an article in the Bend Bulletin a couple weeks ago about 10 Barrel undergoing a major expansion by summer. They were still trying to nail down the new property at the time.

More power to them, I just don't know why they need 2 head brewers. Don't get me wrong, I am real happy for them and real happy for Jimmy it just seems a little overkill.

More power to them, I just don't know why they need 2 head brewers. Don't get me wrong, I am real happy for them and real happy for Jimmy it just seems a little overkill.
from KTVZ

"There's fans specifically, you know, fans of Tonya, fans of Jimmy and the beers they've created," Wales said. "And I think people are going to be pretty excited, and hopefully very happy with the beers they produce with 10 Barrel."

Intersting article. I am going to have to swing by 10 Barrel for a visit. I have to admit, it is 5 blocks from my house and I have yet to try it out. It's always packed. I am sure they are going to produce some amazing beers.

I sure like what Boneyard is putting out though.

Newp, not even close (though closer than Portland which always tries to claim this). For starters, several cities in Vermont have you beat, Burlington the largest among them.

ETA, just to rub salt in the wound I'll remind you that they were brewing Cascadian Dark Ales in Vermont in the early 90s, they just didn't know to call them that since they wouldn't be made out west for another decade.

Dunno, probably closer than you think. I see five breweries/brewpubs and 55K people for Burlington/South Burlington. Not really up on my Vermont breweries and geography, tbh. Bend has 80K and seven places in town where they brew, and an eighth set to open this year. And rumors of a ninth.

Also, sounds like sour grapes on the CDAs. If they didn't get to name it out in Vermont, they must have been doing it wrong.

I agree, it does seem overkill---although the Deschutes guy is apparently going to do the 50 barrel system and the BBC girl will be doing the 10 barrels. Dunno what happened to the guy who came from Kona, if he's just still there, too, or what. But they do have tentative plans to also bottle/can beer and open another brewpub, somewhere. And honestly I never thought their beer was all that great previously, with all the other options in town.

Agreed on Boneyard, those guys kill it.

I agree, it does seem overkill---although the Deschutes guy is apparently going to do the 50 barrel system and the BBC girl will be doing the 10 barrels. Dunno what happened to the guy who came from Kona, if he's just still there, too, or what. But they do have tentative plans to also bottle/can beer and open another brewpub, somewhere. And honestly I never thought their beer was all that great previously, with all the other options in town.

Agreed on Boneyard, those guys kill it.

I was surprised to see how quickly Tony was able to get his beer into so many joints around town.

I was surprised to see how quickly Tony was able to get his beer into so many joints around town.

yeah, dunno exactly how they did it, but probably has a lot to do with the fact that the beer is good.

I have to admit I have a hard time paying for $4 for it in a bar when you get it in a growler for six bucks, though.

I have to admit I have a hard time paying for $4 for it in a bar when you get it in a growler for six bucks, though.

Fox's! I think they are still $2.75.

Dunno, probably closer than you think. I see five breweries/brewpubs and 55K people for Burlington/South Burlington. Not really up on my Vermont breweries and geography, tbh. Bend has 80K and seven places in town where they brew, and an eighth set to open this year. And rumors of a ninth.

Also, sounds like sour grapes on the CDAs. If they didn't get to name it out in Vermont, they must have been doing it wrong.

Bamberg 70K population 8 breweries
Asheville 75K 8 breweries

Let me know when you want me to stop, not going in order.

Also no sour grapes as Noonan died before you guys discovered black IPAs. He was just less of an attention whore is all.

Bamberg 70K population 8 breweries
Asheville 75K 8 breweries

Let me know when you want me to stop, not going in order.

Also no sour grapes as Noonan died before you guys discovered black IPAs. He was just less of an attention whore is all.

well, you said it was "not even close." 7/80K, 5/55K and 8/70K seems at least close to me.

looks like Hood River, OR, has Bend and most places with more than one brewery crushed, however. I thought Hood River was bigger than it was, but they have at least three and a population of 6K.

Back