Saaz in an Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboom

Reaction score
It seems like saaz is reserved for lagers only. I think in all my searches I've only seen one ale recipe that uses it. Any particular reason for this?

I was thinking I could probably make something really light and refreshing, somewhere in the pale ale / light lager range, using some saaz, and US-56 yeast. Anyone ever try recipe like that or have some suggestions?

I'm thinking along the lines of:

10 Lbs 2 row
.5- 1 Lb 20L crystal

1 oz Saaz (60 min)
.5 oz Saaz (15 min)
.5 oz Saaz (5 min)

What do you guys think?

ales will work with saaz. Don't load it up on the IBU's however if the Alpha acids are particularly low, it can contribute to a hop derived phenol that will most certainly affect the taste.

My Dead Guy clone uses Saaz (along with Perle) for finishing hops. Very nice! I would use it for any ale that would benefit from a delicate, mild, clean hop addition.

I use noble hops for most of my ales. I like the taste.

For bittering hops it will be cheaper to use a high alpha hop for the 60+ min boil. under 60 then hop for flavor/aroma

(I suppose someone will start arguing the fact that 60 min+ boil you get NO flavor from hops, just isomorised alpha (bitering) acids)

Back