When to stop fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
My OG is about 1065, and I want to stop fermentation at about 1012 so my Cider is a little sweet. It in a 1 gallon demi-john fermenting with Montrachet and has been fermenting for about 24 hours. Aside from regularly sampling, when's a vague idea of when I should stop fermentation? Naturally I will be measuing SG before I cut the whole batch :p

I would never stop a fermentation. Yeasties give off potentially unsavory byproducts during fermentation that they clean up in the final stages. I'd let the fermentation run its course, let the yeast fully floculate, and back-sweeten if necessary. Before back-sweetening (with any sweetener you like), prevent any further fermentation by adding potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfite.

Looks good but this time of year I'm in the position to cold crash - our conservatory drops below freezing at night at the moment. I have two wines in there - a white and a rosé - and I can see through them!
May as well take advantage at the moment, but if I do cold crash, can the yeast start again? I want to give these out as presents.

Seems like a good set of options...any word on speed? I want to turn this around before new years if possible! Won't be great, but it's a gift :)

i think you will be close. Look up Bigcountrybrew he has done this a couple of times and could give you a better answer. Few weeks I think. Mainly I think it will depend on temps yeast used and so on but once you hit the sg you want it shouldnt take long to carb.

I'm not carbing, luckily. Once it's clear I'm going to heat it up with mulling spices and oranges, then bottle when cool and add instructions to re-heat when people drink it :)
Ready-Mulled cider, if you will!

Back