How about some Brisket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdustguy

Reaction score
Wonderful award winning competition brisket. Six slices of smoked juicy beef perfection. Doesn't it make your mouth water?

700_P1010016.JPG

Awwwww yeah...that's the stuff!!!!

I miss my smoker so much. I'm tempted to buy one of those $100 throw-aways (they never last me more than a year, even when I clean them constantly) just so I can start smoking some meat again...

That looks great! I sometimes brew and use my smoker at the same time and this works well for me. I used to smoke briskets at a low temperature but have recently tried using a higher temp and I can get a brisket done in 6-7 hours unlike pork which is 12-16 hours for me.

You'd totally score more points if you plate the brisket diagonally on the plate ;)

p.s. looks friggin delicious.

Awwwww yeah...that's the stuff!!!!

I miss my smoker so much. I'm tempted to buy one of those $100 throw-aways (they never last me more than a year, even when I clean them constantly) just so I can start smoking some meat again...

Put together a cheap DIY smoker. I picked up a hot plate at harbor freight for $10 and use that to heat a smoker box. Works great!

looks great - just bought a grilldome - looking forward to doing some brisket - hope it turns out as great as yours looks

A week and a half after posting in this thread, I bought a cheapo ($150!) set-it-and-forget-it propane smoker from HD. So far I've smoked 3 briskets, 4 racks of ribs, and a pork shoulder (currently eating a pulled pork sandwich for lunch at work and getting envious comments from coworkers about the smell).

Thanks Sawdustguy for giving me that push over the edge to get back into smoking meats...(I honestly can't tell if I'm being sarcastic)

That looks awesome! How do to cook it? I might have to break out the smoker this weekend if my friend comes up to brew with me. Heck, even if he DOESN'T come up!

It was built locally. The same guy thats building my brewstand :)
You'll also notice a big gas webber (which I no longer use because I have one built into my cook room), and a cookshack electric smoker( mostly for jerky). We like our meat!

You'll also notice a big gas webber (which I no longer use because I have one built into my cook room), and a cookshack electric smoker( mostly for jerky). We like our meat!

Damn Cajuns, always making stuff on their own. Bet you have a locally made Fish Cooker (Turkey Fryer to most people on here) too :mug: From MS originally, so use to some Cajun cooking and ingenuity :rockin:

Yep, Fish fryers, and crawfish boiling rig.
You know down south, if it walks,crawls,flys, or swims, we'll kill it, and cook it. :)

Here is a good link to how I now cook brisket.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6880069052/m/896100293

That looks awesome! How do to cook it? I might have to break out the smoker this weekend if my friend comes up to brew with me. Heck, even if he DOESN'T come up!
[/QUOTE]

Myron Mixon of Jacks Old South cooks his Briskets hot and fast. He is a very successful cook on the competition circuit and has has won Memphis in May a couple of times with his Whole Hog entries. While hot and fast can turn out a good brisket, I have heard that the margin for error for turning in perfectly cooked brisket is very small as it is very easy to turn in overcooked brisket using the hot and fast method. Cooking for yourself it, you would probably not know much difference, but in competition it is risky. Myron has been doing it for so long he can probably do it in his sleep though.

Myron Mixon of Jacks Old South cooks his Briskets hot and fast. He is a very successful cook on the competition circuit and has has won Memphis in May a couple of times with his Whole Hog entries. While hot and fast can turn out a good brisket, I have heard that the margin for error for turning in perfectly cooked brisket is very small as it is very easy to turn in overcooked brisket using the hot and fast method. Cooking for yourself it, you would probably not know much difference, but in competition it is risky. Myron has been doing it for so long he can probably do it in his sleep though.

There's a lot of intuition and just plain practice behind a successful hot and fast cooker. Knowing the weight/thickness/consistency of your meat (go ahead, bring on the jokes!) and how long it needs to be in for isn't easy to learn from the interwebs or books. Unless you don't mind prodding the hell out of it with the thermapen so you can pull it at the right temp...

THats about like me, I smoke, Make jerky, you name it I am smoking or grilling EVERY night of the week. LOVE some meat!! LOL

Back