engraving BK with dremel for volumetric level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
Found another thread from a year ago re: this, but the question was never answered...so I thought Id ask again.

I have a new 10 gal BK and dremel with engraving tool.. Im thinking the best way to measure out volume in the BK is by marking the inside with the engraving tool.. a little line and a number.

the engraving tool should minimize the depth of the cut, preventing going all the way through the side. And, since I will be boiling liquid in it for at least 60 min each time I brew, there shouldnt be any trouble with unwanted critters hangin around in the marks.

anyone ever do this? success? failure?

thoughts?

thanks guys and gals.

I don't know about engraving but I did read another thread today about someone simply using a screw driver and a hammer to make dents to mark each gallon. That might be a easier although it would be nice to see the marks labeled. But I suppose if you wanted to use a dremel I see no harm in doing it that way either. As long as you're careful not to go through. And I definitely wouldn't worry about critters. My first boil kettle came engraved and used it for all of my batches. There is even a little gunk lodged in the engraving and I don't even bother trying to get it out cause I'm lazy.

I could see an issue with rust once you remove the finish with the dremel, and over time it will rust all the way through. I guess it depends on what kind of material it is, stainless steel?

Have you though about getting a dowel rod (wooden closet rod) and using water in your pot to mark the levels on the stick, by quart or gallon, and then dunking the stick during your boil to see the level?

As far as marked levels in the pot, you may have a hard time reading the engravings because of foam and trub on the sides. I know I would.

I could see an issue with rust once you remove the finish with the dremel, and over time it will rust all the way through. I guess it depends on what kind of material it is, stainless steel?

Have you though about getting a dowel rod (wooden closet rod) and using water in your pot to mark the levels on the stick, by quart or gallon, and then dunking the stick during your boil to see the level?

As far as marked levels in the pot, you may have a hard time reading the engravings because of foam and trub on the sides. I know I would.

its stainless,

yeah, I thought about the oak rod.. just seems like one more thing to hassle with... certainly more work than stirring away any gunk to see the mark on the side of the kettle.... plus, its one more thing to have to store somewhere.

has anyone on here actually used an engraving bit to do this?

I took a punch and popped it it a few times at each gallon. First I poured a 3 gallons of water in the pot 1 gallon at a time and measured it with a tape measure. I marked the 3 gallons and used a rivet spacer to space the balance of the marks out evenly. I used a Sharpie on the outside. I tried to use my engraver on the inside but it wasn't going to work so I quit after 2 gallons. The Sharpie has stayed on for 3 brews thus far.

pot2.jpg

The only problem with internal markings is that once you're boiling, you have a steam volcano coming out of the top of the pot and no way to see in. The dip stick solution is the next best thing because it can be withdrawn for reading.

With my engraved pot I had no issues at all seeing the markings. I just moved the break material to the side with my spoon.

The only problem with internal markings is that once you're boiling, you have a steam volcano coming out of the top of the pot and no way to see in. The dip stick solution is the next best thing because it can be withdrawn for reading.

Also - once it's engraved you can't change it. This can happen if you need to modify something inside the kettle that could change the volume.

Also - once it's engraved you can't change it. This can happen if you need to modify something inside the kettle that could change the volume.

well theres something I hadnt thought about.. I do plan to add a spigot at some point.. so maybe I should be "thinkin' with my dipstick.";)

thanks for all the help guys...

now I just have to make my chiller and get my recipe nailed down... any of you care to comment on my recipe thread?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-i-get-second-opinion-196628/

thanks a bushel,

HIt

Use a sightglass, you can change the volumetric readings if you make a change to something that way.

You've done that in the winter, in Denver? I'll have to take some video of my boil...

You're right bobby. I didn't take into account that my brews have all been done indoors. I'll probably find out quickly the steam you're talking about with my new kettle and burner I got today!:rockin:

I've scratched in marks on the inside of my keggle. No issue after years. I only use it to get the preboil volume. Now, I'm going to add a sight glass.

Bear in mind theres a 4% difference in the volume of room temp water and boiling water (/wort) - the markings are no doubt made using measured cold water. 4% doesn't sound like much but you may miss your cooled volume by 1/2 a gallon.

Back