Head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlivings

Reaction score
Hi,
Other than serving the beer correctly, how do I go about improving head retention?
I brewed my first beer, an all-grain IPA and it came out great, but the head only stays for half the drink and the lacing is poor.
Thanks!
Tom.

You can add some Cara-Pils/Dextrine to your batch and it will aid in head retention and also add some body to the brew. Maybe 5% of your total grain bill is all you need.

Try mashing a little lower at 150 and add roughly 6-8% wheat to your bill. This has always worked for us.

Well thats good news, because I just bottled a strong belgian ale last night, mashed at 148 with 5% wheat!
Thanks guys. Lord only knows what home-brewers did before the internet.

Do you put your glasses in the dishwasher? Jet Dry can have horrible effects on head retention. I keep a set of glasses for beer that are hand wash only.

But hops are going to really affect the flavor profile, in essence compromising what Im trying to achieve to get better head. Is there a hop variety that doesnt shout too loud but lends its head retaining properties?

The cara-pils works. So does flaked barley or flaked wheat.

Also, make sure you use enough corn sugar when bottling.

Dave

Back