2 packs of Nottinghams...... kinda scary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:mug:I'm brewing an 8 gal. batch in about a 9 1/2 gal. fermenter. I'm definitely using a blow off tube. After reading some threads talk about using a strong amount of yeast, I'm going with 2 packs of Nottinghams. Well every ferment is different so I'll be covering this bad boy up with a blanket or something over my fermenter inside my big plastic tub. Like I said kinda scary.:mug:
My Recipe:
11# light LME
1.5# Flaked Oats
1.5# Roasted Barley
1# Black Patent

2oz. Northern Brewer @ 60 min.

If it gets up past 72F, you'll get off flavours with Nottingham.

Conehead

Flaked oats need to be mashed, FYI. I don't see any enzymatic base malt in that recipe.

+1 to blow off tube. I fermented between 64-68 and welll SWMBO was pissed when the airlock blew and beer was on the cieling.

First time useing notty....Have only been using us-05 was kinda shocked per say to find what a differnt yeast will do....Just cant wait to see what gravity comes out to be....

I consistently make a 6-7% 11 gal batch of "pounda porter" with a pound each of chocolate, roasted barley and black patent. Not really a porter, but man does it taste good. Also fermented with notty as it's my house yeast.

:mug:I did mini mash using the oven method, I went with so much black grains to just see if I could get closer to a Obsidian stout. I got a recipe that came from the Jamil show on brewing network? Here it is.

11.9 lb Pale 2 row
1.43lb. Black patent
1.1lb. Crystal 80
.66 lb. Cara-pils
.66 Munich Malt
.66 Wheat Malt
.11 lb. Roasted Barley

1 oz. Galena or Nugget 90 min.
1 oz. Willamette 30 min.
1 oz. Northern Brewer 5 min.

Thought that was a lot for a 5 gal. batch, but is a complex brew, I'm not that complex although I wished I would have used more hops.

fermented with notty as it's my house yeast.

+1 after experimenting with nottingham and US-05 for my default house yeast I have settled on nottingham. If you have the ability to completely control your temperature, nottingham gives you so many more options.

1. Ferment between 63-66 degrees for a clean, american ale style result
2. Ferment 57-61 degrees for a very crisp lager like brew
3. Ferment at 72-74 degrees to obtain some banana/clove esters that are suitable for some styles.
4. Do not ferment above 75. Ever :D

I have found nottingham to consistently attenuate and floculate better than US-05. I have also found that if both yeasts are pitched after following their respective rehydration protocols, the notty has a much short lag time.

If you control the temp you will have no blowoff problems. For example, I put 6 gallons of a 1.075 OG scotch ale, on a notty yeast cake in a 6.5 gallon bucket with a simple airlock. I kept her at 64 degrees or so and had no issues. After 5-6 days I was down to 1.019 or so.

Sorry, I just really like nottingham ale yeast. Maybe too much..it's great stuff...if you want to showcase premium malts and hops, nottingham will eat up the sugars and get out of the way. It drops like a rock.

I agree with everything permo says about Notty. The fermenting at 57-61 does work, but my beer turned out too bland. I am going to give it another try, except this time use more specialty malts. I made a light ale with only 2.4% 70L crystal and it still tasted bland. If I use more crystal, munich, or even vienna it hopefully won't taste so bland. On the other hand, maybe I should just ferment at 67F. Anyone experience blandness with low temps?

I agree with everything permo says about Notty. The fermenting at 57-61 does work, but my beer turned out too bland. I am going to give it another try, except this time use more specialty malts. I made a light ale with only 2.4% 70L crystal and it still tasted bland. If I use more crystal, munich, or even vienna it hopefully won't taste so bland. On the other hand, maybe I should just ferment at 67F. Anyone experience blandness with low temps?

The yeast pretty much leaves nothing except for a vague tartness when fermented cool. Fermented in the 65-68 degree range I believe to be the sweet spot for most ales using nottingham.

I have to stay that I like Notty as well. I have brewed just 3 batches so far with it, but they have all been a success. I am certainly going to continue using it.

As for the blow off I would stay just get some FermCap-S or Five Star defoamer. For the 20 cent or so you'll spend on it per batch it is worth it. No reason to have to clean anything off.

The yeast pretty much leaves nothing except for a vague tartness when fermented cool. Fermented in the 65-68 degree range I believe to be the sweet spot for most ales using nottingham.

I agree. I have had really good success fermenting with Notty at 65-66. I think this is the sweet spot.

Latest posts

Back