help, my wife spit in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifesgreatman

Reaction score
OK she didn't actually spit in my beer but she splashed a mouthful of beer into it when I had her siphon into a secondary vessel. Now I know you all are going to say to get a siphon tube of some sort...And yes I should. And in fact after tonight I did by one....But I have been doing a lot of low budget brewing over the last couple years and have just mouth primed my tubing during a transfer, I dont slobber all over the tube and have never had a problem with pintch the tube and not spilling what is in my mouth into anything.

But tonight (I have a sore throat and dont want to infect anyone with what ever is going on) I asked my wife to start the suction for me and when she did she let the tital wave of beer spash out of her mouth and into my batch. You would have thought we were siphoning off gasoline the way she reacted. So here is my question. Is this batch a gonner? I know hops are antibacterial in a way and that the alcohol present will help keep things somewhat safe. my plan right now is to go ahead with it and make sure I am the first and only one to drink it when it is ready until it's safety can be confirmed. Anyone have a similar problem that turned out ok?
Thanks
R

On the other hand, if you're sick in six weeks, perhaps she's seeing someone else...

(ducks to avoid the shoe being tossed at him!)

I am surprised no one has made the obligatory "tell her to swollow it next time" comment... ;)

However, if it was already fermented, I +1 for keep it cool and drink it soon.

It's always time to worry when your wife gives you an infection. You should really teach her to swallow......OK, I'm done......Sorry.:eek:

You know if you fill the hose with water before you put it in the beer it will prime itself. There is never a need to use your mouth.

You know if you fill the hose with water before you put it in the beer it will prime itself. There is never a need to use your mouth.

+1 Sanitary racking 101.

Been doing this since my second batch a few years ago. Just hold the hose end to the faucet, with the rest of the tubing and cane coiled in your other hand. Fill it up and put a (sanitized) thumb over the faucet end to avoid losing water.

Insert cane into beer, and start the siphon over a pan/splash bucket/jug/whatever. Stop the flow when you get beer and move the tubing to your carboy/bucket/keg.

Gawd, it's easier to do than to explain... LOL! :eek:

I laughed when I saw the title to this thread. My wife hates beer, but it'll be a bad day when she spits in my beer.

I had siphoning problems. I believe I've solved them. I have a bottle wand with attached tubing. I stick the wand in the wort and suck the other end and it pulls it up. I then sanitize the bit that's been in my gob, top up using a turkey baster and plunge it in the wort. Works like a dream.

At least you can name the beer something cool now, like "Spitfire Stout/Ale/Whatever" ;)

$9 for an Auto Siphon. Have her skip her non fat soy milk double pump no foam Vente cappo for one day and it's paid for.

:D

+1 on the auto siphon. I love mine.

Stick it in, give it one good pump and you're done.

Wait, that sounded wrong.

+1 on autosiphon,
+1 on water in tube to start (if no autosiphon)
+1 on wife swallowing next time, you never know where her mouth has been . . well . . . actually . . . hopefully you do.

Someone on here has posted a method using a "T" that ought to prevent the wort ever touching your mouth before it goes into bucket.

I remember that but wouldn't know where to find that post. After seeing it though, it gave me an idea that has worked well for me. I took a smaller section of hose, about 18" - 24", and attached a barbed coupler to one end. For siphoning, I slide this into the end of the siphon tube and start the siphon. I can see the flow coming in plenty of time and I just pull off the shorter section off and I'm in business. Mouth never touches the siphon hose.

Dennis

+ 1 on sticking it in, giving it one good pump and you're one....

I mean +1 on the auto Siphon....perverts ;) :ban:

+1 on autosiphon,
+1 on water in tube to start (if no autosiphon)
+1 on wife swallowing next time, you never know where her mouth has been . . well . . . actually . . . hopefully you do.

You know, if you have been married long enough, spit or swallow you don't really care as long as your getting action.

Piss in her coffie, that'll teach her!

I never sucked on a standard siphon, I wasted abotu 30 seconds filling the line with watter from the sink to start the siphon.

If you believe Eric Cartman - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxTk1fRwww4]YouTube - South Park - BJ[/ame] - this will be the ultimate test of your homebrew's ability to fight off infection.

Why didn't you just break the suction when she heaved? I mean, you had to have seen her do that and then you continued to pour beer into her sputum.

Fess up. What were you doing while she was bent over the pail sucking on your hose? <Okay, I'm going to go stand over in the corner with Gnomey now.>

that made me laugh!! it shouldnt hurt anything i dont think go ahead and drink it when its ready. well now it can just be your own special one of a kind batch and i liked that idea of naming it spitfire!!!

If she had actually gotten saliva into the beer, the worst it would do is convert any remaining starches to sugars... your beer *in theory* would be sweeter, but with less body.

After reading three pages of potty jokes (not that I don't like them), I don't think that she actually got any in your nectar. I really don't remember, cos all I can think of is my wife....

Latest posts

Back