Keg lube by any other name is... ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Well,
I am not exactly sure I even need it. I cannot find any info that says you should definately use keg lube or exactly how much and where it should be applied. However, I figure better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately my LHBS does not even seem to know what it is. Least the kid at the counter did not. So, I grabbed some "stuff" at Lowes. It seemed to be right, but I thought I would check with you experienced keggers.

It is called plumber's silicone grease. It says it is waterproof, heatproof, nontoxic, nonflammable, nonstaining and contains no petroleum. It s intended for lubricating faucet stems o-rings, valves, ballcocks, etc. For use with rubber and synthetic o-rings gaskets and seals.

Sound fine?

Okay, now what do I do with it... :eek:

Sounds like it'd probably be fine, but it's really not a big deal to go without. I only use keg lube less than half the time - it's nice to use (helps ensure a good seal, and probably makes it a bit easier to remove the disconnects after they've been on there a while) but it's certainly not necessary.

id use it, only time you really need keg lube is when your Orings start to dry out or you are not getting a good seal. hell id use peterolum jelly if need be lol half the time if anything is leaking its the cap O ring and it doesnt come in contact with beer anyways :D

Back