Pickle Crisp CaCl - Di-hydrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen some stuff called "Pickle Crisp" in the canning supplies section of the grocery store. It lists the ingredients as : Calcium chloride. No other ingredients listed. Anyone know if this is the di-hydrate form?

I don't really know for sure, but I would think it would be the dihydrate form. AFAIK most salts don't naturally like to exist in the anhydrous form if they can exist in the hydrated form, and (once again, AFAIK) the dihydrate form of CaCl2 is the only hydrated form of that salt.

like I said, not 100% sure on that, but fairly confident.

Also, I just googled that product, and it looks EXACTLY like the CaCl2 that I have (obviously, CaCl2 dihydrate)

I measured out 1 cc and weighed it. The weight was consistent with the dihydrate form and not the anhydrous form, so I'm sure it's the same stuff you can buy from your HB supplier.

I've tentatively come to the conclusion that whatever it is, unless it is chemical grade (ACS) and labeled as being one form or the other, that it is a mix of the anhydride and dihydrate which contains from about 75 = 85% calcium chloride. The dihydrate is about 76% and the anhydride is 100%. Either will take up moisture from the air the instant it is exposed to it.

Back