holy hops!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it arrives weigh it. Remember that all shippers take charge to the next higher pound, even if only an ounce over.
How many packages in those 5 lbs? Plastic/foil pouches and cardboard box and any filler in the box. Could be. If not then a note to Hops Direct is in order.

Interesting--I just saw my shipping notice and saw my order of 6 lbs from hopsdirect had a shipping weight of 10 lbs. Sounds like a good deal to me if even a bit of that extra 4 lbs is due to a few extra ounces of citra and amarillo inside....

Almost all the bags I got from fresh hops were heavy by about 1/2oz.

The weight is estimated. If you use the shipping calc on their site when you order it gives the weight. Mine showed a few pounds over what I ordered and thats what I was charged (right then)

If you 5lbs, you can probably expect it to be about a pound heavy. They usually give 18-21oz per pound.

Every "pound" I have ever ordered from Hops Direct has been 20 ozs. Hellofa deal.

Their shipping calculator seems a wee bit excessive. I understand a package with 5 lbs of hops is going to weigh more than 5 lbs but 80% more? Come on. My local shop figures 20-30%. I'm not really complaining but wish they could be more upfront about pricing and not hide it in shipping.

I just got my package from Hops direct. My order was for 6x1lbs of hops. The total package weight before opening was 8.6 lbs, when I removed the six hop packages the box and packing material weighed in at 1.6 lbs. So the 6lbs of hops weighed an estimated 7 lbs total (including the mylar packaging which maybe weighs an ounce or two). So this fits with each of these 1lb packages being roughly 3-4 oz over.

That makes a great deal on these hops even better!

This is exciting! I'm supposed to get my 4lb shipment (rated at 6lbs :mug:) on Saturday. Then my 15gal kettle should come in on Monday. I'ma be a brewing fool, especially since SWMBO is going out of town to visit friends!

My order was for 6x1lbs of hops. The total package weight before opening was 8.6 lbs....

Got my 6 lbs yesterday. Actual package weight was about 8.8 lbs and was charged for 10. I won't complain about an extra pound on a 9 lb package. All my bags weighed about 1 lb 3 oz. They were whole hops so the mylar bags were a good size and have to imagine they account for most of the 3 ounces.

Their shipping calculator seems a wee bit excessive. I understand a package with 5 lbs of hops is going to weigh more than 5 lbs but 80% more? Come on. My local shop figures 20-30%. I'm not really complaining but wish they could be more upfront about pricing and not hide it in shipping.

yeah I noticed that too. I ordered 2 lbs from HD it cost 12 bucks to ship, ordered another 2lbs from freshops and it cost 5 bucks to ship. In the end it all pretty much works out to the same price.

Back