Burnt Malt Extract in Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielofthedale

Reaction score
The first time I homebrewed I scorched some malt extract on the bottom of my brew pot. It was around one of the rings on my stove eye, about a 5in. in diameter, 1/5in wide ring. I have been able to get just about all of it off of the pot but there is still a small amount left. Can I use the pot as is with out it imparting any side effects on my next batch of homebrew? Should I just get a new pot? Thanks for any input.

I put about half a gallon of PBW in mine. Letting it soak 24 hours. Then scrubbed it with a dobie. got most of it off. Then re-polished the whole pot with an SOS pad to get the rest off,& shiny new SS again.

My first pot had a permanent malt extract scorch on the bottom, and it still worked just fine. I have even heard some brewers say this will add to the character of the beer, and develop your own house flavor, kind of like those who refuse to clean their bbq grill.

The PBW over night should do just fine, but I don't think you will have an issue with the pot due to a little caramelized extract. In the future if you are not able to do full wort boils just do late additions of the extract, and you should avoid this problem.

[email protected]. on tap: easy virtue blonde, fruity monk belgian wit. primary: American pale ale, American stout, blow your top steam, and heffewitzen

I disagree. If it isn't burnt black already,it will in the future. I didn't prefer leaving that to chance,& soaked & scrubbed. Burnt flavor ruins food,so why think it won't ruin your beer? Beer is more of a food product anyway,being cooked like dinner or something. My 2c,anyway...

For PBW it is usually 1 table spoon per gallon. It works best when dissolved in water about 170*

[email protected]. on tap: easy virtue blonde, fruity monk belgian wit. primary: American pale ale, American stout, blow your top steam, and heffewitzen

I figured (before I bought my digiscale) that 1tsp=6g. So I figured 1 gallon of solution would be made with 4 3/4tsp. Or,to think of it more simply, 1TBSP,1tsp,& 3-1/4tsp measures into a gallon jug. Then put in about a quart of hot water,seal jug,& shake till dissolved. Then top off to 1 gallon with cold water. Works great so far.
But yeah,scouring powder,or SOS steal wool soap pads will do the trick to get what the PBW doesn't. I just like SOS pads because they polish my SS brew kettle real nice. They were polished when I bought them,sooo...

Back