Cultivating Mould

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decojuicer

Reaction score
OK, I used the search feature and I tried Google. I know that I haven't been on for a while, but Revvy told me that HBT now has sections for cheese, sausage, and smoking, so I'm back.

I just got a cheese making kit for Christmas, and I am wondering if it is possible to cultivate Penicillium Roqueforti mould from a commercial cheese to use when making my homemade cheese.

I know that there are a couple of problems. The first being contamination. However, I think that problem can be countered the same way that we keep our beer from becoming contaminated...sanitize like crazy!!

The second problem would be the growth medium and actually growing a sufficient amount to use.

Can anybody here help me out??

i always just take a good blue cheese from the store and blend up a slice/chunk with a small amount of milk. add that to the milk when you add the rennet or mix it in when you're salting the curds. the mold should take over pretty quickly, so you can be pretty lazy with your sanitation.

Back