Flavor change when bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I posted another thread about the esters I got from Cooper's yeast when fermented even at 63 degrees. I had two other beers in the same place, neither had that problem, but different yeasts were used. Anyway, my question is this. I tried a little glass of the stuff as I was bottling and it was damn good. I couldn't wait to crack one open. So I waited the barebones amount of days, which in this case was under a week. I cracked one open and it was ester city. Why wouldn't it have tasted this way before bottling?

I'm not really sure why it would become more estery after bottling. Maybe it is just your perception of it that changed? I find that I tend to discount some off flavors at bottling time because I attribute them to being a characteristic of the beer's youth. It is not unusual for me to have a keener perception and more critical palette when opening a bottle several weeks later.

But aging it longer, say a couple of months, may help. I found that to be the case with some of my estery beers.

I've found that the flavor changes once I add the priming sugar, it seems like it needs to ferment out and clean up.. that takes a few weeks then it tastes right again.

Back