first time brewer has some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcoots76

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of beer Friday evening. I decided to start off with a lager. I followed the directions to a "T". I used a starter wort for the liquid yeast and let it sit for 48 hours. My original hydrometer reading was 1.072. The temp of the wort was 60 degrees. From what I have read, that is really high. I started fermenting at 60 degrees. It started bubbling pretty much right away. I read somewhere to start a lager off around that temp. After reading some other info I found out I should have started fermenting at around 45 degrees. Sunday afternoon I moved the carboy to the fridge and have kept the temp at 45 degrees. As of now it is still bubbling about once every 5 seconds. I decided to take another hydrometer reading and it is now 1.032 at a 60 degree temp. Do the 2 readings make sense after fermenting for 65 hours or so? When should I start the diacetyl rest? When should I transfer into a secondary fermenter? Will this batch of beer turn out ok? I wish I would have started off with an ale since it seems a little easier for a first time brewer. I guess my biggest concerns are that I let it ferment at first for 40 hours at a temp of 60 degrees and the difference in the readings just after 65 hours. I thank you all in advance for the help!!!
Brian

Ever hear of "steam beer"? Its basically lager fermented at ale temps. You'll be fine....although this batch will certainly be unique. What kinda first batch of beer starts out at 1.072 though...heh heh. Sounds like my freakin' 9% ABV Trois Pistoles...

I am in the middle of a lager as only my my 2nd batch..just because I wanted to try it while my basement was still cool. Here is my battle plan based on various input (this may help), but I'd welcome any further suggestions:

One week in the primary got it down to 1.020->racked to secondary
Been a little over a week in secondary. Down to 1.012, tastes like beer, but really cloudy. Temp has been between 55-60 (used saflager s20-suggested temp 50-60)
I plan on another week in the secondary, then move to 60 degrees for a day (diacytl rest). Then prime, bottle and leave at room temp. for a week.
Then store in fridge at about 50 degrees, decreasing the temp about 5 degrees a day until it's at about 35...leave it at 35 for at least a month.
Any other thoughts?

Just leave it for at least 2 weeks in the primary to make sure it's done, then you can do a diacetyl rest and rack it to secondary. Just take your time.

Brewsmith said:
Just leave it for at least 2 weeks in the primary to make sure it's done, then you can do a diacetyl rest and rack it to secondary. Just take your time.

Thanks-I moved it from the primary pretty early because I thought I noticed autolysis (smelled a little sulfur-y)...prolly just overthinking it

Some yeasts put out sulphury compuonds. My lager stunk up the fermentaion fridge like crazy. Everytime I opened the door it smelled like a giant wet fart. As soon as the primary settled down the smell went away. The sample tasted great at racking and it's lagering right now.

Latest posts

Back