Priming with wheat DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida286

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my third batch of beer and have already used the corn sugar and dme methods of priming. I was wondering if I can use wheat DME to prime. The recipe for the beer had wheat in it so I thought it would work but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks :rockin: :mug:

Why not!
All you need to prime is a little sugar that the yeast can ferment. Wheat DME should be about as fermentable as Barley DME, so I would use similar amounts. I think the flavor difference would be very minor.
Ofcourse this recommendation is coming from a newbie who is looking forward to experiments like this.
Craig

I've used Wheat DME many times to prime and it worked fine. I'd doubt that a cup of DME would make much difference in 5 gallons of beer. Besides, wheat malt has little inherent flavor. Go for it!

I would do 1.3 cups of that but it should be fine. Will take longer for full carbonation so expect to wait 3-4 weeks. A nice wait of 6-8 will be a real nice head and better beer. :)

Back