dry hopping - magnum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
heard a great interview with steve dresler on the BN and he mentioned he likes to use magnum for a dry hop. i had a special bitter done fermenting and decided to throw some magnum and willamette in there to see what happens. anyone else used magnum for dry hopping??

I haven't tried magnum as a dry hop, but please let us know how it turns out. It is kind of my obsession right now to learn about how different hops for dry hopping affect aroma. I really want to get a monstrously complex aroma through combining different hops...

I haven't tried magnum as a dry hop, but please let us know how it turns out. It is kind of my obsession right now to learn about how different hops for dry hopping affect aroma. I really want to get a monstrously complex aroma through combining different hops...

Just bottle dry hop a neutral ale and see how they come out. A couple of hop cones won't make a terrible mess and should settle to the bottom of the bottle if they break apart. Just decant like normal.

just dry hopped imperial ipa with cenntennial hops. smells better than any other hop i have ever used for this style beer. i think i will be using this as a dry hop more often for ipa's and possibly imperial stouts.

Just bottle dry hop a neutral ale and see how they come out. A couple of hop cones won't make a terrible mess and should settle to the bottom of the bottle if they break apart. Just decant like normal.

Interesting idea. I'm already pretty engrossed in an experiment with brewing an APA over and over and changing the hops each version, but this includes bittering, late boil, and dry hop changes. I may try making some hop teas to experiment...

a great way i went about trying out different hops was having a tasting using most all of mikkellers single hop ales. same recipe for each beer, different single hop used in each one. magnum was actually one of my favorites along with columbus and amarillo.

Every time I dry hop with magnum I hate the results. Way too "earthy" for my liking, almost like a dirty banana bread flavor to it. This was on a IPA which already had a bunch of late hop additions in the boil.

its all relative to the brewers liking of what hops to use. i would personally like to invest in 1 gallon carboys(btw where can i find these at) and brew a beer dry hopping it with different strains, that way i know im getting real results instead of brewing the same beer over which i may not brew identically as the last batch. that way you could also try out 4 different dry hops at once instead of 1 at a time.

you should be able to find those 1 gallon jugs at your LHBS. if not, buy some cheapo carlo rossi wine, dump or cook with the wine, and use the glass jug for fermenting. also you can sometimes find apple juice in those 1 gallon jugs.

i've been reserving judgment on this beer for a few weeks. i didn't love it at first due to the wy1028 i used, but i really like it now that the yeast has mellowed out a bit. i got kinda drunk the night when i was gonna dry hop it and ended up with magnum, willamette, and some mystery hop (i THINK it was centennial) all mixed together, so i can't say whether or not the magnum is good/bad solo, but it works with whatever i tossed in there. definitely more of a floral aroma with this beer, i like it.

you should be able to find those 1 gallon jugs at your LHBS. if not, buy some cheapo carlo rossi wine, dump or cook with the wine, and use the glass jug for fermenting. also you can sometimes find apple juice in those 1 gallon jugs.

If you're only major goal is to see the difference in different dry hop flavors, you can use apple cider made straight in these different jugs, too. Cider has a very clean flavor, too, which will make certain the different hop flavors jump out.

Cider's real easy, too. Get a little corn sugar, stir it in, and add some dry yeast.

After the krausen drops, dry hop a cone or a few pellets, and see what you smell.

Back