First Taste, Seems Crisp and flavorless.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurkedUp

Reaction score
So I just cracked open the first brew tonight. It has a good head but tastes under flavored and seems to be crisp like champagne. Brewed it on 11/01/09. Its a California Pale Ale, 11g. of Nottingham danstar,unknown ingredients as it was a kit form my LHBS, OG of 1.052, finished at 1.010 on 11/21/09. Bottled conditioned for 19 days and sat in fridge for 3 days. So any thoughts? Cheers!

Please see this thread>

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-taste-seems-crisp-flavorless-151550/.

-or-

So I just cracked open the first brew tonight. It has a good head but tastes under flavored and seems to be crisp like champagne. Brewed it on 11/01/09. Its a California Pale Ale, 11g. of Nottingham danstar,unknown ingredients as it was a kit form my LHBS, OG of 1.052, finished at 1.010 on 11/21/09. Bottled conditioned for 19 days and sat in fridge for 3 days. So any thoughts? Cheers!

Extract, Partial mash, or all grain? I would think 6 weeks is plenty, but ya it could come into its own with more time of course.

How much priming sugar did you put in there? Was it a kit?

I personally find that the "standard" amount of priming sugar used in kits (5oz) results in pretty high carbonation levels if you actually let it carbonate fully. That could account for some of the crispness you're getting. Maybe put it in a blender or stir it with a spoon for a minute or two to get some of the carbonation out, and see if you still have the same impression.

The "flavorless" thing might also be helped if you let it warm up a bit, if you're pulling it straight out of the fridge. Not necessarily to room temps, but in the 50-55F range.

Six weeks is not enough?

Six weeks in the bottle? From bottling day all that matter in terms of whether or not a beer is green still is time in the bottle.

The 3 weeks at 70 we recomend is really just a baseline, rule of thumb, for beers about 1.060 and below...most beers need more time to fully come into their fullness.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

It was a kit, so I don't know how much it was. I will try to warm it up before drinking the next bottle, plus maybe pour it heavy in the glass to get rid of some CO2.

However the flavorless part was way flavorless, tasted like a really really extra light beer!

I am expecting my remaining items for my kegging setup tomorrow. Early X-mas for me!!!! So maybe the CO2 thing will not be a problem in the future. But the flavor is some poor that I could serve this to any friends that I liked.

What kit did you make?

A lot of kits geared for beginners try to make the beer taste as close to Bud, Miller, etc. as possible, so it's not exactly flavor country. However, drinking at higher temps than what that stuff is typically served at will certainly help pick up some of the flavors.

There's plenty of good recipes here on HBT. Centennial Pale Ale is a good choice. I personally make a similar type of pale ale that I dry hop with Columbus that is favored by lots of folks, although I haven't posted a recipe for it.

What kit did you make?

A lot of kits geared for beginners try to make the beer taste as close to Bud, Miller, etc. as possible, so it's not exactly flavor country. However, drinking at higher temps than what that stuff is typically served at will certainly help pick up some of the flavors.

There's plenty of good recipes here on HBT. Centennial Pale Ale is a good choice. I personally make a similar type of pale ale that I dry hop with Columbus that is favored by lots of folks, although I haven't posted a recipe for it.

It was sold as a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone, packaged by the LHBS. Partial Mash with unknown grain bill, 6 Lbs of LME, an ounce of boil hops, .5 oz of finishing hops last 10 min of boil, .5 oz of dry hops in Secondary. I then used the unk amount of bottle sugar from kit and bottle conditioned @ 70 deg for 3 weeks.

What kind of hops? Do you know?

This doesn't sound like a flavorless beer. Although I can imagine maybe not as flavorful as Sierra Nevada.

Unknown hops, Again a kit from my LHBS, so i'm sure they keep it to themselves. When I say flavorless, I mean like bud light or miller light.

OK, all is not lost! I poured it high and allowed it to foam very heavy. Then I let it sit for 15 min and tasted it. Wow, what a difference. So I tried it again on the next bottle and same results.

Weirdboy, thanks for the info. It really helped. I hope Kegging will resolve all of this in the future. Its like x-mas eve night around here, waiting for the Big brown truck to roll up tomorrow.

Listen to Revvy. It's natural to be anxious, don't sweat it. I would say give it two more weeks in the bottles at around 7o degrees and then try another one. You'll be amazed at the results.

RDWHAHB

A Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone that has no flavor? Sounds dead on to me...:)

LOL!

So i just tasted my Second batch, a Honey Porter, brewed on 11/14/09. Sat in the fermenter for 10 days than in the Secondary for 18 days. Just put it in the Keg, and WOW! I love Homebrew! Tasted so darn good, even with no carbonation. I'll let it sit in the keg for 2 weeks and I imagine that it will be Heaven in glass.

I recently started kegging and i carbed and drank almost right away. Taste wasnt that good. How long should I leave in the keg for at what temperature and what pressure? should I hook up that gas right away or wait till it sits for a couple weeks?

Back