White bucket for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twistingking

Reaction score
Is their any reasons I can't use a White Bucket with Airlock for my secondary? I have one I use for my Primary and broke my Carboy would it hurt anything to use my second primary bucket as a secondary?

That is how I have been doing all of my secondaries up until now. SWMBO got me a 5 gallon Better Bottle for xmas to use for my secondary. I have had no ill effects to this point. I don't think that I would try to age anything long term in there, but a normal ale for a couple of weeks will be fine.

I've always heard that this wasn't a good idea. Mainly because of the fact that plastic can be permeated by air. I'm sure it would be fine for a few weeks, even a month maybe, but if you're going to age anything long term I would advise against it.

*Edit: Just read another thread about someone who left his barleywine in a plastic bucket for 9 months. So maybe I'm wrong in my previous statement. Perhaps I was given wrong information previously?

I think one downside of using the bucket as a secondary is that you can't see the beer through the plastic. Since one of the main reasons to use a secondary in the first place is beer clarity, it helps to be able to see when the beer is clear.

Do not use for a long aging process like and Imperial Stout. I am using a bucket for my first secondary but a glass carboy would be nice.

It's not the traditional method but it can work. My brother just made an amazing Super Alt using a bucket primary and secondary. I made fun of him, but he got the last laugh, delicious! Go for it.

If you are worried about to much contact with O2 and you have a CO bottle (Keg system) you could release some CO into the buckett after you transfer to your 2ndary buckett and have the lid on. Just to evacuate the O2 and replace it with CO.
But I agree with others, I can't imagine that you would have any issue if others leave it in Primary for months without issue.

Back