Ever Make a "Second Wine"??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
I just today started fermenting a 3 gallon must of aji and jalapeno wine. The chilis and some chopped raisins are in a nylon bag. I've seen second wines mentioned, but have seen very little specific information on how to make "second" wines--I'd like to use the bagged stuff to make a 2 gallon batch when the first is put into a secondary. I'm planning on just removing the bag from must 1, letting it drip a bit in the must, then immediately putting it into a second primary (2 gallons this time because of what I expect to be a loss of strength in the chilis) with distilled water. I'll use pectic enzyme, acid blend and some tannin, but no new yeast...I'm thinking that the bag will transfer plenty of the little guys.

Any thoughts on this?

I like the way that you are thinking!

Would you consider sharing your recipe?

Pogo

Sure, Pogo--here it is:

3 Gallon Aji & Jalapeno Wine:

Ingredients
2 pints chilis--one each of Aji and Jalapeno
3 lbs golden raisins
6 lbs granulated sugar (normal household)
4 tsp acid blend
3 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp tannin
3 crushed campden tablets
Montrachet (in a starter)

Process
1. Wearing gloves-rinse in cold water and trim the stems from the chilis--slice about half of them into short pieces, remove the seeds from the other half and then slice the chilis in short pieces.

2. Using 3 cups of water, put the raisins in a blender and work them into a generally smooth thick mix--put into nylon bag and tie. Put bag in primary.

3. Boil a gallon of water and pour onto the must.

4. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.

5. Add campden tablets, cover loosley (towel for example) for 12+ hours.

6. Aerate.

7. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme, tannin and yeast.

8. Ferment on pulp for 5-6 days, stirring every day.

9. Rack to secondary and take OG.

10, Rack again after fermentation stops, rack in another 30 days, rack as required until clear, then bottle. Age/condition for 3-12 months.

I've never made the stuff and this recipe is a modification of one I found. Interestingly, I had a large (over a pint, maybe close to 2 pints) very strong starter made up, boiling like crazy when I pitched it about noon today. Nothing has happened at all to suggest that it's starting to ferment. I'm wondering if the oils in the chilis makes it more difficult to start. We'll see.

What is the yeast going to eat in your 2nd batch? You'll need sugar too.

Yeah, right...suppose I'd drop in 4 or so pounds of sugar. Thanks.

On second thought, think they could eat the bag and make something drinkable??

Yeah, right...suppose I'd drop in 4 or so pounds of sugar. Thanks.

On second thought, think they could eat the bag and make something drinkable??

No clue. You'll probably want more yeast nutrient in it too.
At best, you could get something like a cheap pepper vodka. At worst, you can clean your toilet.

I racked the first wine after a week into a 3 gallon carboy...ended up with a little over 2-1/2 gallons. I didn't put in enough water to make up for the full mass of the bag of chilis and raisins. I then made the second must of a bit over one gallons, thinking that I'd be better off to add it to the first to fill up the carboy. Decided to forget about the garlics in this batch and take this as a learning experience. Anyway, the first must looks sort of yellow gold and is fairly clear already. Still percolating...be it slowly. I'd post a picture if I knew how--anybody wanna spell out a quick lesson? BTW, this stuff is intended for cooking or in marinades...though I did wear rubber gloves during the whole process to avoid losing any skin! Smells ok, but it's hard to keep my eyes from bleeding while smelling.

Smells ok, but it's hard to keep my eyes from bleeding while smelling.

Sounds like something I would love to try. There have been several pepper mead and wine threads recently, I have to try one. Gotta bottle something soon and open up another carboy.

As far as pictures go:
Upper right hand corner, click on My Profile
3rd column down on the right, Latest gallery images
Click Upload Image
Select the photos from your pc, then add any info you wish and select Upload/Submit

Back