What to Do With Infected WLP007 Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this, Yeast/Fermentation, Recipes, etc. So posting it here, hoping someone can weigh in.

So, I had a starter get some bugs in it when I put it in the fridge to crash. I guess I forgot to tighten the lid, and when the starter cooled it pulled in some bugs.

It's a very nice, clean sour, and I think it could lead to something good, so I'd like to brew something, but I have no idea what. I've never brewed with bugs before, so I'm not really sure where to go. Anyone have any good recipes they could suggest for a 6 gallon (post boil) batch that I could try this out with?

I'd like to grow this culture a little more by putting a little more clean wort on it and brewing next weekend.

Tastes like lacto, no idea what pedio tastes like, definitely but not brett or acetobacter 100%.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Here's the recipe I would follow: pitch it in the sink and start over with new yeast pack. Takes too much time to brew and ferment to intentionally pitch infected yeast in my opinion, also takes up a spot in fermentation chamber that could be used for a known good recipe. My $.02, good luck.

By, "Bugs", do you mean, fleas, gnats, flies, and such? Or are we talkin' wild yeast, or such?

Not sure what to try, but I like the spirit. Reminds me of the history of beer, when they just left the wort sitting out to ferment by way of wild yeast. Not sure how it will do for the taste buds, but I like you're intent to experiment.

Maybe do some research on the old ways of making beer?!?!?!

pb --- and that's my
twocents.gif

By, "Bugs", do you mean, fleas, gnats, flies, and such? Or are we talkin' wild yeast, or such?

Not sure what to try, but I like the spirit. Reminds me of the history of beer, when they just left the wort sitting out to ferment by way of wild yeast. Not sure how it will do for the taste buds, but I like you're intent to experiment.

Maybe do some research on the old ways of making beer?!?!?!

pb --- and that's my

Bugs = bacteria or wild yeast

I would probably over sparge my next beer and pitch it to a gallon or so. No need to waste a full batch.

Idk...I kinda like the balls to the wall approach. I have capacity, not going to temp control it, gonna do something not very high abv and let it go. I'll call it practice hitting my mash numbers.

What makes you think it got infected? How old is it? There is little left to ferment or encourage bacterial growth in a spent starter, and I imagine with the alcohol it would take weeks to notice anything. Has it been in the fridge for weeks? I'd bet that you tasted the starter and guess what starters taste like... Nasty sour spent wort. That's why we like hops. There is nothing wrong with your starter.

Have you thought about trying to use chlorine dioxide to clean your yeast? It will kill bacteria however it doesn't work well with wild yeasts. I shoot for a 20-40 ppm in my yeast slurry. The water purification tabs at outdoor stores are what I use.

Back