Advice on hop additions for aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwirthlin

Reaction score
I'll be brewing the third test batch of an American Pale Ale recipe I've been working on this Saturday and would like some feedback on the hop additions. The recipe is pretty heavily influenced by Manny's Pale Ale a beer out of Seattle from Georgetown Brewery. I'd like to try and achieve close to the same hop aroma that beer has. If you've ever had it it's got a wonderful grapfruit/citrus aroma. I've used the exact same hops listed on their website and achieved close to the same ibu's. Here's the recipe.

16 oz crystal 40L
10 oz victory
8 oz 2 row pale
8 oz cara pils
6 oz crystal 60L
5 lbs light DME

Yeast: wyeast Thames valley 1275

60 minutes .75oz Summit 18.1aa
30 minutes .75 oz cascade 8.9aa
15 minutes .75 oz cascade 8.9aa
1.5 oz cascade flame out 8.9aa
.25 oz summit flame out 18.1aa

Dry hop on 3 oz cascade 3-4 days before bottling

I'll be using whole leaf hops not pellets if that makes a difference and bottling not kegging.

Hop additions look pretty good to me although I have never had the beer you speak of. The grainbill however is a bit heavy on the crystal malt for my taste with the 60, 40 and the carapils.

inhousebrew said:
Hop additions look pretty good to me although I have never had the beer you speak of. The grainbill however is a bit heavy on the crystal malt for my taste with the 60, 40 and the carapils.

Cool thanks. I'm pretty set on the grains. It's just another test batch. I'll see how it turns out and tweak it from there.

Seems like you'd need more 2 row than crystal to get decent conversion from the mash. Not to mention 3lb grains & 5lb extract. But hey,it could be good when the grain bill gets sorted out proper.
And place the 30 minute hop addition at 20 minutes for better flavor,15 minute addition at 10 minutes. No need for flame out aroma additions if you're dry hopping with 3oz anyway. And dry hop 5-7 days for good aroma.

unionrdr said:
Seems like you'd need more 2 row than crystal to get decent conversion from the mash. Not to mention 3lb grains & 5lb extract. But hey,it could be good when the grain bill gets sorted out proper.
And place the 30 minute hop addition at 20 minutes for better flavor,15 minute addition at 10 minutes. No need for flame out aroma additions if you're dry hopping with 3oz anyway. And dry hop 5-7 days for good aroma.

It's not a mash, I'm just steeping the grains I guess I should have said that initially. The two row, and victory are for aromatic, the crystals are for flavor, the carapils for head retention, and the extract is for the fermentables. I'll cut the flameout addition and adjust the others. Thanks for the help

logan3825 said:
Probably don't need the carapils for an extract. With all that crystal I would guess your beer ends up red. Check out this thread. Post #23 is apparently a Georgetown Brewing rep.

Thanks for that. I actually emailed Georgetown and spoke to Lisa who made that post and she gave me some good advice. I'll do some adjusting to the grains based on an extract recipe in that thread that seemed to have some good results.

Back