Who is a left handed brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up writing and doing most activities left handed. In School though, they typically only had right handed equipment (golf clubs, baseball mitts, etc.) so I suck equally with either hand in most sports. Interestingly enough, when I started working as an electrician, my tool bags were set up with all my side tools on the right and I didn't even think to switch them until a few years after I'd become used to using my right hand for them.

Lefty checking in but I dunno if it really makes any difference for me. I mean as we all probably did I learned to do most things right handed. I haven't seen anyone else brew so I could be doing it right handed for all I know

Airborneguy said:
eat both which is apparently a big deal

Eat both?

I have my fork in the left hand and knife in right when cutting. And don't change when eating. Apparently you are supposed to switch when eating from what I have been told.....

Eat both?

I have my fork in the left hand and knife in right when cutting. And don't change when eating. Apparently you are supposed to switch when eating from what I have been told.....

Interesting. I switch, and always thought I was being uncouth.

Another lefty here. Couple things I can do with my right or both but mainly a lefty. I had a teacher in high school that would go on about how lefties and ambis tend to have higher math skills. Seeing how many brewers are into science and engineering it makes sense, though this is hardly a random study.

Hulud said:
Eat both?

I think the "proper" etiquette is to use fork in left, knife in right, and when done cutting put the knife down. Which is the reason you are supposed to switch. This is all designed for right handed feasters as its easier to cut right handed than left. Left handed should be reverse.

Then again, I'm a righty, what do I know...

I almost always cut with m y right which is usually the hand I use for my fork after cutting, but sometimes I just shove it in my mouth with my left hand. Depends on how hungry I am.

I can write better with my right hand backwards, than I can with my left hand forwards, and about twice as fast!

Ambidextrous here and truly divided. I throw, kick, eat with my left, I write, bat, weld, golf, shoot guns and hoops with my right.

Eat both?

YUP!! People think it's weird when I don't switch, but it's so convenient! It's fun to watch the righties fumble around when eating a steak.

I'm also an accountant so I can write while adding things up on my ten-key. The others in the office look at me with disdain. Lefties are more efficient!!!!

TheMan said:
I think the "proper" etiquette is to use fork in left, knife in right, and when done cutting put the knife down. Which is the reason you are supposed to switch. This is all designed for right handed feasters as its easier to cut right handed than left. Left handed should be reverse.

That is proper but I just don't move to my right since I'm left handed lol

Bring enough hombrew to the party and people stop noticing how I use the silverware. :)

Well, I'm ambidex.. I write lefthanded.. but do everything else right handed. I'm right eye dominant.. etc.. but.. I can do just about everything pretty well lefty. I have a son that can't do ANYTHING right handed.

Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one!
Only write lefty but everything else is right.

Besides brewing, what hobbies do our fellow left handians have?

My other hobbies were motorcycles, bar hopping, bowling, hunting and guns. Since having our first child 11 months ago, most of those have been cut out completely. I used to ride on average 10k miles a year, this last year I struggled to put 1,500 on (that included a 800mile trip to Key West).

Ambidextrous.

Write: left, but I can write legibly with my right. I just don't.
Eat: left
Golf, basketball, baseball: right
Hockey: left or right, mostly left
Dominant eye: right
shoots: right
cuts: left or right

you get the idea...

Another southpaw here. Only things I do righty are golf and boxing (If I feel the need to switch it up and have a wicked jab)

Yo, not only am I a lefty, I married one too. I figure since we're the only ones in our right minds, we may as well take on the world together.

Funny thing, tonight I was sitting at a table at a bar with 5 people tonight (DangerRoss was there, he can verify), 4 of us were left handed. Now, if that's not a dominant species, I have no clue what is.

Southpaws FTW!!!

hbgbill said:
sounds like you are as conflicted as i am.. ;)

sounds like the making of a song here..

"i'm a lefty, you're a lefty, he's a lefty too" sung to the dr pepper tune.. I'm a pepper, you're a pepper.... :rockin:

+1

I write left, shoot left (try running a shotgun with a side saddle left handed, people will think you are a surgeon); but, do everything else right handed.

Bensiff said:
I write left, shoot left (try running a shotgun with a side saddle left handed, people will think you are a surgeon); but, do everything else right handed.

That's an interesting thought, first I'd need a horse, saddle an shotgun lol.

That's an interesting thought, first I'd need a horse, saddle an shotgun lol.

Hmmm, take my words literally outside firearm lingo and in horse lingo, and that there is a funny image.

90% Ambidextrous here. I am left eye dominate.
eat, shoot, fish, and many others with either hand equally well.
mostly write with my right but can do so reasonably well with my left.

Bensiff said:
Hmmm, take my words literally outside firearm lingo and in horse lingo, and that there is a funny image.

That's not what you meant? Lol I get into some trouble for taking things to literally.

Back