what can I use as a hop bag (cant get my hands on one!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjonson

Reaction score
So I need to bottle today because I have been dry hopping fore almost 2 weeks and I am in fear of the grassy flavors. I forgot to get a hop bag from LHBS. I need the ho bag to put around the auto syphon to act as a filter to keep the pellet dabirs out of the bottles. I was thinking of using some dirty old panthose but I thought that might add some off flavors :fro: any advice?

thanks

lol not sure about "dirty and old" but pantyhose will do the trick.

lol not sure about "dirty and old" but pantyhose will do the trick.

ok.. but I was thinking since they are a synthetic material not made for food they might add some off lavors of their own. or worse.. some harmefull chemicals. has anyone ever used pantyhose for this purpose?

thanks

Any idea if a piece of plastic window screen mesh work? I'm thinking about cutting out a circle of this and using a zip tie to attach it to my Auto-Siphon. I have a roll of this sitting in the garage.

I ended up buying a paint strainer from Lowes and zip tied it to my auto siphon. It worked great!

I've used panty hose to cook with before.

Stuffed em full of sour kraut and put in the belly of a whole hog while roasting.

Don't think they'll hurt ur brew a bit

I've used a sock before but I have stopped buying hop socks and just throw em in, they will settle in the fermenter.

Just about any neutral colored cloth will work. Panty hose, sock, t-shirt...
Make sure to clean and sanitize them before filling them with hops and dropping them into your beer.

Back