An illustrated brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubba

Reaction score
The other topic has a misleading name and was on a somewhat different subject, so I thought I might repost it in a new topic. Happy for input/criticism. Note that the text is somewhat pedagogic as I posted it in other places.

Allow me to introduce you to the brewing of Leonard's Grit (Leonards Uränne).

derp152.jpg

Specialty grains, crystal and roasted barley, crushed (or more like unevenly milled) with a household mixer. On top of the mixer, a pillowcase, the purpose of which will soon become clear.

derp153.jpg

My yeast starter (strictly speaking unneccesary in this case), some liquid malt extract (Unhopped) from Cooper's, and hops.

derp154.jpg

Pot, which is honestly a bit small for this, but good enough, and the smashed grains.

derp155.jpg

And the purpose of the pillow case becomes clear! This way, I can brew without the hassle of removing the grains or avoiding a burning of them.

derp156.jpg

And the grains are added and the brewing is on. The wire is a thermometer, to keep an eye on the temperature. If it gets into boiling territory, I'll get a lot of tannins in the wort, and the beer will taste like really cheap red sparkling wine. Yuck.

derp157.jpg

One of the few situations where "teabagging" has an entirely innocent meaning.

derp158.jpg

Ad hoc hops boiling bags, made from old kitchen towels.

derp159.jpg

After the barley tea is finished, the liquid malt extract is stirred in, and stirred well.

derp160.jpg

A little bit of the leftover malt extract is added to the yeast starter, to ensure that it's alive and well. It's alive and well, and quick to feast on the sugars.

derp161.jpg

First hops bag added, and the boiling begins. Notice the lack of headspace in the pot, this is partly from thoughtlessness, and partly due to my experience with malt extract which tells me that it hardly foams at all (unlike all-grain wort). It didn't.

derp162.jpg

Second bag of hops is added, at 30 minutes into the boil. Boil proceeds for 30 more minutes, making a full hour.

derp163.jpg

The most inefficient way imaginable of cooling wort, short of leaving it on a hot stove.

derp165.jpg

About as much water as the volume of the wort itself (to make it 18-20 liters) is added to the carboy. Afterwards the wort is poured in. I opted against using my siphon because it's much harder to sanitize than a funnel.

derp166.jpg

Yeast, a slightly-too-large (but the best I've got) bung, and finally a fermentation lock with sanitizer in it is fitted. Now, we just need to wait! ... Wait until I have something to bottle it in, that is.

Gravity ended up at about 1.080.

Kitchen Towel Pillow Case Beer!

I probably would have mashed my grains in an old sneaker instead of a pillow case but hey, that's just me :D

I believe typical large BIAB mesh bags are constructed from nylon so I'm not sure what kind of additional flavors you're in for by using a pillow case and some towels, they were boiled so I highly doubt infection issues... Looks like it worked for you and you but I would highly recommend just ordering yourself some bags. Hop bags are 10 for 5 bucks on Northern Brewer, I usually get my monster BIAB bags from my LHBS for 2-3 bucks, something like that.

Definitely post back once you crack that first beer open!

Are you going to name this beer or are you going by the kit? You definitely switched it up a bit, worthy enough for you own title :)

As I said, perhaps not obviously, it's named Leonards Uränne. Uränne is an old very local dialect word, roughly translating to "grit".

I forgot getting hops and boiling bags while at LHBS (which isn't very local at all), so I had to think up a quick substitute. Boiling bags are commonly made from, as you said, nylon, but also a thin cotton mesh called muslin. I don't think the cotton imparts much if any flavour at all.

Interesting.... you guys buy stuff from Ikea.

Thought that was just a joke you were playing on us.

IKEA is super cheap, medium quality stuff with great design, benefitting greatly from economies of scale. It USED to be low-quality trash, but that was 30 years ago or so. I love IKEA. Hardly a piece of furniture in here that's not from there (with a few exceptions, some specific design drawers and such)

Plus, there's not much else to choose from here if you want a store with just about everything you need for your home.

Back