over shot OG (pitch more yeast?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physast

Reaction score
I just brewed a pumpkin ale. My est OG was 1.057, but my actual reading is 1.069. I did not make a starter, because I didn't think I would overshoot the OG. I pitched the yeast and then used my paddle to aerate the wort.

Should I add more yeast? Or just wait and see what happens...

Was this a partial boil that you topped off with clean water? If so, it may not have been mixed well enough...

Also double check your hydrometer in a room temperature glass of water

Was this a partial boil that you topped off with clean water? If so, it may not have been mixed well enough...

Also double check your hydrometer in a room temperature glass of water

I did two boils in two separate kettles (6.4gal total). One was with the first runnings and the other with the runnings from the sparge. When I dumped them both in the bucket I dumped the first runnings first, then the second runnings from the sparge. No top up water was needed for this batch, which is somewhat unusual for me (maybe I read the bucket wrong). So I guess this could be some of the over reading. The Hydrometer was tested last week, so I assume it still works.

A little more info....

type of yeast (dry/liquid), kind of yeast, how long ago you pitched, ferm temp, etc.

BTW, I would have just made a starter for a 1.057 brew, better to have a healthy fermentation than a slow, laggy, off flavored one! :mug:

A little more info....

type of yeast (dry/liquid), kind of yeast, how long ago you pitched, ferm temp, etc.

BTW, I would have just made a starter for a 1.057 brew, better to have a healthy fermentation than a slow, laggy, off flavored one! :mug:

I have still never made a starter. I guess I should get in the habbit since everyone seems to do it. I have never read about laggy slow yeast causing off flavors.

Info:
liquid wyeast Denny's Favorite 50 (manufacture date: July 2011). Pack swelled up quickly.

Pitched last night around 11:30pm (Sept 11 2011), after pitching realized I forgot to aerate so I opened back up and mixed the wort around with a plastic paddle.

Ferm temp @ 65F (yeast range 60 - 70F)

There was no activity this morning, but it had only been 7 hours.

Back