Rims element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im struggling with what element to buy, some say only buy the low density elements others say you can buy the regular elements wiht out issue. If burk runs his element in a standard 120 outlet that woudl equal about 1400 watts or about 140 watts per inch. Is there some guidlines for watts per inch on an element?

That was going to be my next question, so thank you. This stems from the fact that I have a gift card from Amazon, their element selection is rather limited.

When rating the watt density it's based on watts/surface area, so w/sq in. You need to account for both the element's length and it's diameter. LWD/ULWD will be thicker as well as longer, which is why they're usually folded back on themselves.

From what I've read a standard density element like you linked will be fine. I wanted the extra assurance of one that's advertised as being able to withstand dry firing, so I went with the Camco 02933. It's the 5500w ULD that's NOT RIP. It's listed down a bit on the same page you linked under "customers who viewed this item also viewed." Only done one beer with the new rig so far, but it worked great. I'm sure either one would be fine.

If you have the Camco 02933, can you tell me how long the element is? I just ordered 3 of these for shipping to Norway, but forgot to check the length. I hope they fit in my 17" kettles...

crush, I just called Camco cause I was looking for some dimensions as well. The lady there told me that it is 13" long to where the threads start. And 1" pipe threads. I am hoping those are actual, cause I just ordered based on that info.

If you get yours, will you please confirm or deny these dimensions?

Cheers!

I can't measure mine right now, but I have it mounted in a keggle, and I'm guessing it's about 3" short of the keg's diameter, which is about 16". 13" sound about right to me.

Anyone using one of these in a heatstick setup?

I think I am about to build one with this element, as I think the ripp models are a bit too big for my kettles and these are ULWD as well. Does anyone who purchased this element have confirmation that it is in fact 13"?

Back