True Brew to Real Brew Transition Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewTCranford

Reaction score
Ive been using the true brew kits to introduce myself to the world of home brewing. So far everything has gone smoothly and we want to move up.

What would be the next next step? martial mash?

I'm still not sure exactly what a partial mash is. Is there such thing as a full mash? what about partial / full boil? are those the same thing?

What would be the next step for me and what would be a good starting recipe?

thanks for all the help. any and all ideas / feedback would be awesome...

cheers:mug:

What would be the next step for me and what would be a good starting recipe?

:mug:

Martial mash? Are you in the Army? ;)

Read a good basic brewing book like Palmer's "How to Brew". IMO you are going to be much better off in the long run by learning and familiarizing yourself with good brewing techniques. Novice, Intermediate and Expert stages are all well covered giving you both a better handle on where you are now and where you can go in the future.

The next logical step from extract is partial mash which will allow you to enhance the flavor and color of you brew beyond simply steeping specialty grains. Brewing all grain beer gives you the most control over your product. It's up to you where you want to go. Have fun. :mug:

no the next step up from all extract is extract and specialty grain. all it requires is steeping the grain in 160F +/- 10F water for 30 minutes. its a good way to start getting used to working with grain. once you get that down then move to partial mash. partial mash requires, as the name implies, a mash and more grain. this is slightly harder and also requires two pots. finally once that becomes old hat to you then move on up to all grain.

full mash as you call it is all grain and requires some special equipment that you can make yourself.

full and partial boils are different. in a full boil you are boiling all your wort at once. in a partial boil you are only boiling part of it. its mainly a size issue. if your pot cant hold 5 gallons and not boil over during the hot break you have to do a partial boil

your next step should be an extract and specialty grain recipe. you can tell the difference from a partial mash by how much grain there is and whether or not it has any base grains in it. if it has base grains its a partial mash.

Buy a kit from Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, Brewmaster's Warehouse, et. al. I started with Brewer's Best kits a couple years ago and IMO, they made great beers!

Welcome to HBT!

I will second the notion to buy a Austin Homebrew Supply partial mash kit. I had very good luck with them when I first did PM and the instructions are very good.

It's when starch is converted to sugar by having Chuck Norris give your grain a roundhouse kick.

no thats whats referred to as a Texas Rangermash. a martial mash is when the starch changes its name to sugar and relocates to the water before testifying against the yeast mob.

Back