Keggle cutting/ cleanup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
Last night I cut the top of my new keggle and noticed that I have several little barbs along the cut. What/ how are you guys cleaning up the rough edges? Drinking SS shards doesn’t sound so good.

Depending on what you have available to you...
Grinder / file, then sand paper. You should get rid of the burr then the edge should be rounded.
I got a pretty clean cut on mine so it wasn't a whole lot of work but I worked the edges until I was confident I could rub my hand on the edge without a scratch.

A file isn't that bad of an idea. The file is more hard then the SS is. It isn't going to leave behind much if anything to really worry about. Your not going to weld or heat up this area. A carbide would be a better choice, but not really the tool for the job. Plus, if you follow up with some sand paper for a final dressing on the edge...you should be good to go.

I like to use a flapper wheel. I have a couple different grits just for my SS. In this case, yes. Don't use a flapper on your SS that has been used on mild steel. I like a 120 grit flapper for the final pass.

Happy Brewing.:mug:

Carbide slitting cutter in the Bridgeport mill for perfect cuts needing a slight deburing job to break the sharp edges. Plan "B" fill the keg 90% with water and walk around the top with a Plasma cutter with a centering jig with a tight fit in the spear hole then dress.

I used just a plain file and followed it up with some sand paper to smooth it out. You don't need special tools as everyone would have you think.

LOL, likely you could do it caveman style, find a nice hard rock and chase it around the fresh cut rim...maybe not for Biermuncher.:mug:

Now Biermuncher is in a league all his own, he has a "Bear Trap Catcher", I get the chills just thinking about placing a arm into that keg. Looks like the Chainsaw Masscre hit that keg.
Hey he brews with it but I bet with a shark net glove and sleeve LOL!

If you used an angle grinder to make the cut I would suggest getting a grit pad for it and use that to clean the edges.

After cutting my keggles, I used a grit pad, followed by a gator pad (fine) and a polishing pad (#5 polish from Lowes) to clean the edges. (Cleaned the cut top as well for a lid) All came out smoother than I thought it would before I started. I only used the polish since I decided to polish the entire keg (and my cornies too!). But thats another thread...

Good luck!

No offense Biermuncher, but I laugh out loud every time I see your keggle. You are a much braver man than I... :)

Back