Who Has The Best Recipe Kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelob

Reaction score
I have only done 2 brews. my first was a kit from midwest turned out great. my second isn't finished yet but, I think will be just as good. I think midwest is great, because thats all i know. thats who i bought my kit off of. Is there better?

Seems that Midwest, Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew make the best in-house kits. I like Brewer's Best for commercial...

Other then the three True Brew Kits I bought from my LHBS, I have only ordered recipe kits from Austin Homebrew so far (4 of them). They are put together well, and have pretty good directions.

I've used 3 Midwest kits ahve had great results with the last 2...(first one was my first attempt) all three taste great. First one is have a rough go with carbing...(probably my fault stoopid nOObs) I like Austins selection but their discriptions are blah!!! Northern brewers site is great but have yet to order from either of those yet....

In closing midwest kits are great!:tank:

p.s. if you like Hefe, try Midwests Hanks Hefeweizen, good stuff........

While I have never been disappointed with any kits I have used, I do like Austin Homebrew best. They seem fresher and better tasting. Just my .02. YMMV.

Midwest, Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew all have great kits, but AHB has a huge selection of clones. I like to semi-randomly select a clone kit a couple times a year. It's fun brewing beers from breweries I've never run across. I also go to brew fests and start with breweries/beers I've never heard of.

Find a store within say 500 - 1000 miles of your location. That way, UPS or FedEx will take a day or two to get it to you. Especially in the summer, you don't want your yeast sitting in a hot truck for a week.

Midwest has great pricing on their all-grain kits. I made a Surly Furious IPA clone and a Belgian Blonde Ale. Both were great but I over-carbed the Surly clone. Would definitely do both again with only slight modifications.

I have two AHS kits in fermenters - one in primary and one in secondary - and three more kits in the closet. I'm very excited to see how they turn out. AHS is a little more expensive but has flat rate shipping. So, it's about equal when ordering in bulk.

Austin Homebrew has a great selection and I've done theirs; however, I have to criticize them for not telling you upfront what your getting. I've never done Mid West, but have done Northern Brewer with good results except for their cream ale kit. To be honest a great place is also my LHBS and he does web orders, although his site isn't fancy. http://www.listermann.com/ he has FREE, yes FREE, shipping on all orders of 75 dollars or more East of, or directly boarding the Mississippi river. He is a wholesaler and his LME is very fresh. All his recipes are online under the product documentation link on the homepage.

don't forget MoreBeer! they have some great kits as well!

I'm within 200 miles of Morebeer, which makes shipping super fast (even for the free shipping). Just got my first kit from them and will be brewing that up this weekend. I'm impressed with the packaging/instructions/etc, well put together. Will have to post the results when I'm done.

I like Northern Brewer for their kits, and Brewmasters Warehouse for their "brew builder" if I'm doing my own recipe. Both these sites also have flat rate shipping, which is appreciated.

In a pinch my LHBS has good kits too, and actually my favorite beer so far has been from them, though I suspect that's more to do with the style than the kit itself.

The 2 kits that I got from Morebeer were not nearly as good as the ones that I have bought from Midwest. They were all grain kits and I only got about 55% efficiently due to poor crush. The instructions were good, but I wish they would have vacuum packed the grains like Midwest. At least the price was right.

Back