What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Also an engigeek... MSEE in process...
I'm an IC designer for an unnamed programmable logic company... (just so no one asks me how to program our stuff, cause i have no idea)

How many of the people that answered "engineer" in the poll can really be described as engineers?

Just 'cos the word is in your job title, it doesn'r mean you are one!

Oh wait. I re-designed the word doesn't in the last paragraph. That makes me a word engineer.

Many people are way too made up about their phoney job descriptions. Sales engineer? Really?

I think that it is not about how many homebrewers have jobs that say they are engineers.

It is more about how homebrewing makes people into engineers.

I orginally went BS in Forensic Chemistry but hated the program. But I have been a cook for the past 7 years and an Asst. Chef for the last 3 years.

The general trend is not towards engineering in everyones fields here but towards just creating something and understanding how all the ingredients react together., whether it be Chef, Engineer, Construction or Chemistry or even Music teacher.

The sum of the parts equal a very pleasing result, thats what we are all looking for.

How many of the people that answered "engineer" in the poll can really be described as engineers?

Just 'cos the word is in your job title, it doesn'r mean you are one!

Oh wait. I re-designed the word doesn't in the last paragraph. That makes me a word engineer.

Many people are way too made up about their phoney job descriptions. Sales engineer? Really?

I think that it is not about how many homebrewers have jobs that say they are engineers.

It is more about how homebrewing makes people into engineers.

Its funny you mention that, one of my first jobs out of H.S. was at petsmart. I was a chemical aquadics engineer ... basically I dipped fish and if there was an aquarium problem I called a technician. :fro:

Sales engineer? Really?

This went bye-bye when the courts decided engineers had to know what they were talking about, therefor anything a 'sales engineer' said had to be true and the company was obligated to cover.

This went bye-bye when the courts decided engineers had to know what they were talking about, therefor anything a 'sales engineer' said had to be true and the company was obligated to cover.

So, everything that a qualified engineer says has to be true? Interesting! :D

Although you can't see it, I am twiddling my moustache in a way that implies I have an evil plan. :)

We still have sales engineers...salesmen with engineering degrees that do some real engineering.

I voted Non-Engineer. Not a 4 year Engineering student, but still a Technical Service Guy in Both mechanical and Electrical. Job title contains the word Engineer (Service Engineer) but I have 2 associates degrees instead of a BS.

'02 BSEE from Michigan Tech. Working as an R&D Engineer in the field of GPS navigation systems.

Engineer by training (BSEE '97 University of Utah) however...

If you were to ask the engineers that report to me nowadays, I've had a frontal lobotomy as a manager (MBA '06) and don't come close to resembling an engineer in any shape or form.

Voted NonEngineer---But I work as a Medical Dosimetrist, we do Radiation Dose calculations and our education is very heavy in Medical Physics. Similar to a Physicist.

B.S. in Neuroscience and did bench work for a little while. Then, I was a patent attorney. Now, I handle commercial real estate legal work. I keep getting further and further away.

I do love to cook, though.

TL

You are likely an engineer if you know who John Galt or Howard Roark are.

LOL......

GEN Y with a liberal arts degree...that makes me well-read, interesting to converse with, practically FRIENDS with Howard Roark and John Galt and also broke...

Semiconductor Test Engineer by title. BSEE, currently in pursuit of MSEE, and proud of it! I do ride motorcycles, listen to extreme music and spend time outdoors to offset the nerdiness. I know a lot of engineers at work that also brew.

And I like to cook....

Atmospheric physicist...I get to shot laser beams into the atmosphere and measure what comes back.

Urban planner. I work with mass transportation issues and urban revitalization.

Before homebrewing, I was an avid chef and griller.

After homebrewing, I am exploring my city's ethnic grocery stores to find amazing and obscure ingredients!

Back