soft copper chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
Will soft copper have any detrimental effects if used for a chiller? Is it pure copper, or some sort of alloy that can be harmful or an inert alloy? I have a 25' chiller but it just takes too long in my bigger batches so I'm thinking of making a 50' chiller out of the soft copper unless it will be bad for my beer. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for your help.

If you're talking about "rolled" copper tubing that you can buy at Lowe's or HD then that is what you are looking for as an IC. Either 3/8" or 1/2" will work. As far as being detrimental to brewing or your health? Such a small amount is leeched out when brewing. Not sure if this is detremental to the yeast or not. I've been using a copper IC for a couple of years now and have not had any problems with fermentation.

The other compound that you would be concerned about is using a lead based solder if you sweat copper fittings. DON"T use lead based alloys for sweating copper fittings.

BTW copper has been used as a bacterialcide and algaecide for years.

Here's a link: ATSDR - ToxFAQs™: Copper

I just wasn't sure if the soft stuff was different than the hard copper. I'm going to go ahead and make one, thanks for the help.

Back